View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:02 AM   #22
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Now Galadriel had a different temperament, moreover she had dealt with Sauron-Annatar in person. Think how galling it must have been for her to recall the time in Eregion. The very same being who had killed her brother so cruelly was there before her very eyes smiling and showing her deference (and laughing inwardly, no doubt) - and she was unable to stop him from ensnaring and ruining the Mirdain, including her friend and admirer Celebrimbor... Remember how Celebrimbor died? And then Gil-Galad, who was no kin to Elrond, but who was close kin to Galadriel (the grandson of Galadriel's brother Angrod).
I seriously doubt Galadriel knew who Annatar actually was. Of the rings of power mentions nothing of this, in Concerning Galadriel and Cereborn, UT, also nothing is said. Only in a "isolated and undateable" note is is said that " Galadriel was not deceived, saying that this Aulendil was not in the train of Aule in Valinor" - but even this, Tolkien notes, may be for unfounded reasons.
Quote:
I won't be surprised if Galadriel's hate for Sauron has become very personal after all this. Likely he was ever on her mind.
Quote:
I say to you, Frodo, that even as I speak to you, I perceive the Dark Lord and know his mind, or all of his mind that concerns the Elves. And he gropes ever to see me and my thought. But still the door is closed! '- the Mirror of Galadriel
Hm, that's quite a play of words, between he seeking her thoughts and she having him on her mind, by intention . If she did have some soft spot, Sauron would have likely used, at least in the ~ 2000 years of the Second Age when he re-became active. The very success she had in overcoming the temptation of the ring points that she had a strong, positive, moral structure; anything else would have been, in my opinion, her utter downfall.