View Single Post
Old 03-22-2004, 02:49 AM   #390
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
fonts re: that's why I transliterate it in Latin

Online lexicon re: I should have said back in one of my previous: That is, I reckon, why there is no Georgian online dictionary whatsoever (as far as I know)

Would you mind providing a link? I'm curious to take a glance

Quote:
Yipes! This agglutination is far, far worse than anything I have ever experienced in Hungarian
I feel somehow proud (silly of me, I know, yet still). We have even a word with 7 consonants in a row (the unique thing to the best of my knowledge):

vbrdgvnit - we tear it apart right now (used as a battlecry by yours truly in various competitions to bring good luck about, usually shouted by a team with hands held together, what with Georgian reputation, must have been giving opponents willies all right )

I should say also that similar thing may be found in Arabic as well (though languages are not related whatsoever, even if we have picked up a lot of arabic words, what with Arab invasion back in 7th century and what not), where one should know the stem to find thing in the dictionary (as the words are listed by the stem letter, not by one they actually start with, so 'fa'ala', 'mif'al' and 'Tafa'ul" will all be found on the F page, under f'l stem

I should confess in trickery too - I used an idiom in a tranlsation too (so it is not word to word) - ar mcxela - literally means "I do not feel hot", and may be translated as "I have no time for that", but in a bit of a rural way (not the expression to be uttered whilst, say, attending an official meeting, but has a lot go in between in casual conversation

So, after torturing you for half a page, I finally has driven to the point

You are right, pray proceed

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote