View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #49
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Well I don't object to chatting to shop assistants per se but it can be maddening if the gossip for ages and you are debating whether you really have to get back to the office this instant or can hang on for another 5 minutes without incurring too much wrath.
Oh I don't hold long discussions, just "Ooh, in't the weather nice today?" kind of chats while I pack my bags up! It does have advantages, as today I was able to purchase a breakfast even though I was outside stated times and got free bacon into the bargain, all because I was 'a regular'.

Today my thing for Mordor will be the nanny state, something else I think Tolkien would agree with. By this I mean the sanctimonious government initiatives which have led to almost constant news stories prying into people's personal lives and there is too much criticising and trying to modify our behaviour. I don't care what people give their children to eat, it's up to them frankly. I'm sure Tolkien would have agreed with this. The Shire was filled with happy Hobbits, smoking, drinking and eating to their hearts' content; they'd get roundly scolded for this today.