View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 PM   #45
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Finally the weather is beginning to stabilize. Sure, the temperature has changed 50 degrees Fahrenheit in one day, but you take what you get, and the trend is lending to warmth and even somewhat dry (or less wet). Anyway, so this weekend I took the kids for a hike, our first one of the season, and for some reason Tolkien was on the mind.

With four small kids, it was if I were Aragorn with the four hobbits, size-wise (though I always tend to think more of myself as Gandalf). A ways into the woods a little stream fed an even smaller waterfall, yet the sound was pleasant, and I was reminded of the FotR and Nimrodel. We walked up a hill after hopping two muddy streams (no, I was not reminded of PJ's bridge scene), and after a small rest at the top (hills are mountains to little legs), we found a BMX track that some teenagers (teenagers can at times be like orcs) constructed within the wood.

They must have spent many hours making the sharp "^-shaped" mounds, and they made a circuit that my kids thought of as one big dirt obstacle course. Again, being taller, I could hop from ^-top to ^-top, and then it came to me that this is how Tom must feel, sans yellow boots. Within the circuit was a burnt trunk of a hollowed tree, and it may have been able to house one to two of my kids.

Waiting for the kids to assemble that we might begin our journey home, I looked down below where I stood into a scooped out hollow and there were four white barked trees, not together, but near each other. I couldn't decide whether they were ents or scions of Celeborn.