Thread: What Next?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Findegil wrote:
Quote:
Voting is the one think I do not like at all in the procedings of the project. I am happy that while I am a member it never came to that. In my view in the moment at leats the number of active members is to small for a voting. The old votings are problematic. They were based on old discussions that had come to a dead lock and were kind of solved by the vote. In reading the disussions I found that some times the votes were done fairly early. That means I would have like to discuss further and try to find an agreement. But all this does not make the recent issue howe to reopen a vote not easier. Maybe we should say that a discussion with was ended by a vote should only be reopened if 3/4 of the activmembers agree opon the reopening?
I can sympathize with your disliking for the idea of voting. But I still think that at times it becomes necessary. I agree that with the small number of current active members, voting is largely unnecessary. But with higher membership (and I remain strongly of the opinion that higher membership would be a very good thing) there appear cases where no consensus can be reached.

I was thinking that perhaps all the active members would need to agree to reopen a discussion closed by a vote. And even then, I worry about a small group of members (like our current population) overriding a decision made by a much larger group.

Of course, this needn't be made a pressing issue right now, unless someone wants to reopen one of the FoG votes. But it would be nice to clarify the issue.

Quote:
It seems we agree upon working Eärendil as next chapter.
I like to say that I think Eärednil will be even harder than FoG and FoD but hopfully faster than FoG because we are better trained and the chapter is by leck of material shorter.
I also think that we should finailise Ainulindale and Valaquenta. But as they are near to finishing we should be able to do that along with the start of Eärendil.
Okay. I say we wait until we have from Antoine a final FoG text, and we send it out to people. Then we can commence on Earendil.

Quote:
Your proposal to re-wake the interest by more general discussions is good. Start them up and I will help to make them controversal
Sounds good.

Another thought I had: long ago, Lindil suggested the possibility of making a sort of mailing list for the members that have signed up, so that periodically we can send out general updates on our progress and on the current discussions going on. Nothing more ever came of it. But now it sounds to me to be not too bad an idea, especially since it would remind members about the project on a semi-regular basis.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote