View Single Post
Old 12-20-2002, 02:07 AM   #32
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Faramir will be Faramir of the book. I have seen it. I see it now. I have no doubt in my mind that is where he is headed after seeing the movie for a second time. I saw it tonight and watched him closely and you have to. What he says and what his expression is are quite often two different things. His expression always points to an internal struggle with his duty to his father and something he doesn't quite grasp yet. What he says seems to be what he wants his men to hear. Bind them! You will come to with us to Gondor! But looking at him that isn't what he is feeling. <P>He really is only tempted by the ring once, its obvious because it happens exactly like it did for Aragorn, Boromir, and so on. I think his struggle is more with the will of his father. He is also gravely saddened by Boromirs death and he does seem upset that the Hobbits don't bring any news. What I saw was a Faramir like he was in the book for but an instant when he is questioning Frodo and Sam is getting nervous. Drawn out no doubt much more in the movie. But finally you see the Noble Faramir as he boldly lets Frodo go arriving to the same decision that the Ring is evil and it is what took Boromir to his death. In the book this happens in a shorter time and a less dramatic way. It is Sam telling him what happened to his brother that clinches the decision which in part is what does it in the book.<P>I thought it was quite interesting way of dramatically putting on screen. Definately makes you say Yeah!! When he says "Then it is forfeit!" It could however use some extended scenes because you do have to watch closely to catch everything. I just actually reread quite quickly the entire conversation Frodo and Faramir had and I see where they took for the movie but they also left stuff too choosing to focus on the beginning feel of that conversation, which was very edgy and you didn't quite see where Faramir was leaning, rather than the parts when they are alone away from his men.<P>So having analyzed that all, while I guessed yesterday, I know now that Faramir will be like he was in the book come return of the king.<p>[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: GreyIstar ]

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote