Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 01:27 PM   #150
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba
How would you feel about a series that promoted rape and murder as something good and fun for kids?
Is that how you see it? I've not read the books, and so did not see it as something that extremely felt. There are many dangers out there, and as a parent I think that it's my job to screen what my children will read, view, etc. However, one day I won't 'be there' to guide them, and they will have to make a selection/choice using their own wits. Hopefully I will show them by guidance and by example that some choices are unhealthy.

But I'm not sure that by 'banning' these books in my household (my kids aren't at the reading age yet, and so this is hypothetical) is doing my children a service. Would it not be better to read them together and show my children that, although Harry is a witch (or whatever he is), he (in my worldview) is just a fantasy person and that the world does not work thus.

I mean no disrespect, but there are parts of the Christian Old Testament that I would not want my children reading until they were older.

My children own the first movie and have watched it a few times. I don't know the difference between the books and the movie, but the movie has made no impact in regards to my children and increased interest in witchcraft. LOTR has, however, produced an interest in swordplay (but that is most likely my doing).

Anyway, my point (if there in one in this post) is that there is a lot worse out there, and if we teach our children to be discerning, along with guiding them and helping them to mature, then we would be doing a greater service to them than by just seeking to get HP banned, as there will always be something else on the horizon that will require banning.

Note that if this 'discussion' should be moved to PM, that would be fine.

Cheers.