Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 03:51 AM   #29
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Is it just me, or does anyone else fear that this Itaril person is going to pull an Arwen and be the one who shoots Smaug? Either that, or she's going to be the first one to discover Bilbo took Gollum's ring or something along these lines that would make the audience think that the story would not have been able to move forward without her presence (when the original story had moved forward quite nicely without her being there, thank you very much).

And why is it a requirment to have a female in every film so that the girls in the audience don't feel offended or left out because they have no one to relate to? Who would relate to her anyway? I know I won't, judging from what she sounds like. (Why would I want to relate to someone in the king's guard, waving her sword all over the place and having adventures? (shudders). Nasty things. Make you late for supper. See? I'm already relating to one of the characters, actually, exactly to the one I - and any other pesron in the audience, because, let's be honest, we're all more hobbits than heroes - was expected to relate to in the first place). And who thought up this character anyway? She sounds like something a 13 year old would invent, trying to make up an idealised version of herself. (How old are PJ's kids now, by the way? Maybe they had a hand in inventing Itaril?). Believe me, I know, I used to make up characters like that too. I grew out of it. Also, one has to wonder if the population of the Woodland Elves is decreasing so dramatically, that they have to resort to employing andolescent Elf-maidens to join the King's Guard.

And ayway, would this movie - or any movie for that matter - really not sell unless it had a cheesy romance in it? I mean, to me The Hobbit was more about, well, growing up, in a way, and learning to do what's right and all that. It was originally a children's book and it was destined to entertain and teach children. It was never intended for dreamy teenagers who think the only thing that counts in this world is lurv.

By the way, while I was writing this, I just had a mental image of a scene after Bilbo takes the Arkenstone, with Itaril waving it in front of Thorin, and telling him:If you want the Arkenstone, come and claim it, or something equally horrific.