View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 11:27 AM   #47
Fingolfin of the Noldor
Haunting Spirit

Fingolfin of the Noldor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey guys, something came up which was rather interesting and I think relevant to this when discussing a related issue and I thought you guys might find this an other factor rather interesting and perhaps a further point of debate. I will repost a portion my response where I put forth a specific possibility:

Quote:
Perhaps, though, the question should be: Did Gandalf need to speak? If memory serves, the primary course of communication(being more exact than language), among the incarnated Ainur was that of the mind. Tolkien wrote on this issue a number of times as in texts published in Morgoth's Ring(some hints can even be found in the published silm interestingly enough), the Notion Club Papers, Vinyar Tengwar, and the War of the Jewels and though I don't have any of these in front of me at the moment I believe he may have mentioned the use of language being used in the presence of the children of Iluvatar for their benifit not so much as it was necessary. On the other hand, though I don't have any basis for this, perhaps Gandalf was using language to enunciate given his human(and hence rather obstructive) form. Tolkien in his letters says that Balrog's do not speak but maybe, just maybe alot more was being said in the scene then we know. I apologize for rambling this is a really interesting issue.