View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 07:27 PM   #57
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Quote:
I think Gandalf was simply saying that " You know the 'light' of morgoth will prevail over the Light of Eru.
The light of Morgoth will prevail over the Light of Eru? Did you mean that or was it a mistake? Well, whatever you mean I think it was the complete opposite.
Quote:
You know the Light of Eru will prevail over the dark fire of Morgoth
Lindil:Sorry if I misunderstood your meaning [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] I'm afraid my comprehension skills aren't working so well today.

Quote:
From what I've gathered,,,,,
When Gandalf says he is the "Wielder of the flame of Anor." He is referring to his sword Glamdring. And Anor simply means Minas Anor(later Minas Tirith). I believe I read this in one of the HOME but i'm not sure which one. Anyone else have an oppinion on this?
Glamdring? Well it could be a possibility but consider this: Glamdring (as we recall from The Hobbit) was a weapon stolen by the Cave Trolls and as Elrond says means 'Foehammer'.

Anor:The name for the Sun in the Sindarin language. It appears in many names, including Minas Anor (correct!), the original name for Minas Tirith, meaning 'Tower of the Setting Sun'. It is also seen in the flower-name elanor, 'sunstar', and in the title Gandalf claimed for himself on the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, 'wielder of the flame of Anor'.

Quote:
In the section about the Istari in the Unfinished Tales it says that the Istari all swore allegiance to the sun, which was a representation of the power of Iluvatar. Although how the sun is a representation of the power of Iluvatar escapes me. As has been said the sun is the last fruit that the tree of Laurelin bore. It was set in a vessel, hallowed by the Valar, and guarded by the Maia Arien. The only reason I could think of, for the sun being a symbol of Iluvatar, is it is the brightest object in Middle Earth; it mirrors the flame imperishable that Iluvatar set to burn in the center of Ea. Although the sun is a relatively new creation, compared to the flame imperishable at least. So in effect, Gandalf is a wielder of the power of Iluvatar and also a servant of it.
I strongly agree.

Quote:
This is one of the classic threads that I don't want to see die