View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 08:38 AM   #1
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Editorial Footnote/Apendices?

I did read some of the older threads, but could not find any that picked on that point. But I remember that it was already discussed once. Well in the end I could find it and so here it goes again.

Since as every body has marked during the editing of the text, we encounter some problems were we can not be sure that we found what could be call cannon with out any doubts. Since the text is restricted to the story itself, much of what we discussed wil go to nirwana when the text is finished. As a result many of our decission (however we reached them) will be not easilly understand by the readers of our product. As an example I will take the case of Rog. What ever we do in the end with this name there will be a group of us that is not quite happy with the result. Would it be nice to give a editorial footnote to the text were we could explain why we did use or not use Rog? On a greater scall: Since in the end all markers for the sources of the texts we used will be eliminated, I would like to give an appendix for each chapter were we could mention the sources and how we worked them into our text. The critical points (such as Rog) could be adresse there with a kind of discussion (mayority and minority report if you like). I think that this would make it much easier for the minority to accept what the mayority will do. And some very cumbersome points even make it easier to find a solution, since the alternativ could be shown and discussed.

Respectfully
Findegil

P.S.: In many cases the actual text of such an Apendix would be a recapitualation of our discussions, so that the amount of additional work is small, while the benefit might be great.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote