View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #1
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Narn i Chîn Húrin 3: The End of the Narn

This is the first draft of an expaned version ot the Story of Túrin Turambar NA. Our basis text is: Unfinished Tales; part 1; The First Age ; chapter 2: The Narn i Hîn Húrin (Narn). All additions from other sources are marked.

For a easier discussion the text will be devided into three parts:
1. The Fostering of Túrin: Reaching from the intro to the Narn until the end of Dor-Curathol
2. Beleg & Falivirn: Takes the story until the Fall of Nargothrond
3. The End of the Narn

Part 1 corrospondes more or less to the part of the Narn given in Unfinished Tales up to the big break at the end of Of Mîm including what is given in the Appendix to the Narn

Part 2 does fill the break in the Narn as given in Unfinished Tales. In this part only we will try to take up parts of the old Lay of the Children of Húrin.

Part 3 is the End of the Narn as given in Unfinished Tales. And there is not much to add or to change in this part.

In addtion one thread will hold the general changes.

We have 4 groups of changes:

NA-zz: General changes given and discussed in the list below. These changes are taken up in the text, but they are not indicated by "editorial markers"

NA-RG-zz: These changes are semi general. They are normaly forced by a change in the nomuclature but could within the lines of a poem that are added not dealt with by simple replacment. The changed nomuclature is listed but not numbered with the general changes below.

NA-SL-zz: Changes done to make the storyline fit to the later sources. These editorial markers are also sometimes used when a change was not made that could or should be considered and discussed in view of the stroyline of a later text.

NA-TI-zz For text that is takenin from other sources since it was left out in the version given in the Unfinisched Tales.

NA-EX-zz For expansions taken from some other source to make the story more detailed. This also includes some changes made in the expansion, and texts takenin which I marked for easier reference.

Some conventions of my writing:
Normal Text is from the basic text that is mentioned above (when I change the basic-Text it will be mentioned)
Bold Text = source information, comments and remarks
{example} = text that should be deleted
[example] = normalised text, normaly only used for general changes
<source example> = additions with source information
example = text inserted for grammatical or metrical reason
/example/ = outline expansion
Normally if an inserted text includes the beginning of a new § these is indicated by a missing “>” at the end of the § and a missing “<” at the beginning of the next.

There are not much changes in this last section. Therefore the amount of text given here is equally small.

Quote:
The Return of Túrin to Dor-lómin
At last worn by haste and the long road (for forty leagues and more had he journeyed without rest) Túrin came with the first ice of winter to the pools of Ivrin, where before he had been healed. …

Therefore Turambar laid his black sword by, and took it no more to battle, and wielded rather the bow and the spear. But he would not suffer the Orcs to use the Crossings of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] or draw near the mound where Finduilas was laid. Haudh-en-Elleth it was named, the Mound of the Elfmaid, and soon the Orcs learned to dread that place, and shunned it. And {Dorlas}[Darlas] said to Turambar: "You have renounced the name, but the blacksword you are still; and does not rumour say truly that he was the son of Húrin of Dor-lómin, lord of the House of Hador?"
And Turambar answered: "So I have heard. But publish it not, I beg you, as you are my friend."
The Journey of Morwen and Nienor to Nargothrond
When the Fell Winter withdrew new tidings of Nargothrond came to Doriath. For some that escaped from the sack, and had survived the winter in the wild, came at last seeking refuge with Thingol, and the march-wards brought them to the King. And some said that all the enemy had withdrawn northwards, and others that Glaurung abode still in the halls of Felagund; and some said that the Mormegil was slain, and others that he was cast under a spell by the Dragon and dwelt there yet, as one changed to stone. But all declared that it was known in Nargothrond ere the end that the blacksword was none other than Túrin son of Húrin of Dor-lómin. NA-EX-59<Ap Narn {In another place there is a note that it was}/And/ when Morwen heard in Doriath of the appearance of the Dragon-helm at the Battle of Tumhalad {that} she knew that the tale was true that the Mormegil was indeed Túrin her son.>
Then great was the fear and sorrow of Morwen and of Nienor; and Morwen said: "Such doubt is the very work of Morgoth! May we not learn the truth, and know surely the worst that we must endure?"

Now Turambar was in haste to go; but when he came to Níniel, to bid her farewell, she clung to him, weeping grievously. "Go not forth, Turambar, I beg!" she said. "Challenge not the shadow that you have fled from! Nay, nay, flee still, and take me with you, far away!"
"Níniel most dear," he answered, "we cannot flee further, you and I. We are hemmed in this land. And even should I go, deserting the people that befriended us, I could but take you forth into the houseless wild, to your death and the death of our child. A hundred leagues lie between us and any land that is yet beyond the reach of the Shadow. But take heart, Níniel. For I say to you: neither you nor I shall be slain by this Dragon, nor by any foe of the North." Then Níniel ceased to weep and fell silent, but her kiss was cold as they parted.
Then Turambar NA-EX-60<editorial addition based on Ap Narn set the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin on his head, and> with {Dorlas}[Darlas] and Hunthor went away hotfoot to Nen Girith, and when they came there the sun was westering and shadows were long; and the last two of the scouts were there awaiting them.

There now Glaurung lay, with jaws agape; but all his fires were burned out, and his evil eyes were closed. He was stretched out in his length, and had rolled upon one side, and the hilts of Gurthang stood in his belly. Then the heart of Turambar rose high within him, and though the Dragon still breathed he would recover his sword, which if he prized it before was now worth to him all the treasure of Nargothrond. True proved the words spoken at its forging that nothing, great or small, should live that once it had bitten.
Therefore going up to his foe he set foot upon his belly, and seizing the hilts of Gurthang he put forth his strength to withdraw it. And he cried in mockery of Glaurung's words at Nargothrond: "Hail, Worm of Morgoth! Well met again! Die now and the darkness have thee! Thus is Túrin son of Húrin avenged NA-EX-61<Ap Narn /by Turambar,/ a master of another name /wearing the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin/>." Then he wrenched out the sword, and even as he did so a spout of black blood followed it, and fell upon his hand and his flesh was burned by the venom, so that he cried aloud at the pain. Thereat Glaurung stirred and opened his baleful eye and looked upon Turambar with such malice that it seemed to him that he was smitten by an arrow; and for that and for the anguish of his hand he fell in a swoon, and lay as one dead beside the Dragon, and his sword was beneath him.

Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder. So passed all that he possessed.
With toil of many hands they gathered wood and piled it high and made a great burning, and destroyed the body of the Dragon, until he was but black ash and his bones beaten to dust, and the place of that burning was ever bare and barren thereafter. But Túrin they laid in a high mound where he had fallen, and the shards of Gurthang were set beside him. And when all was done, and the minstrels of Elves and Men had made lament, telling of the valour of Turambar and the beauty of Níniel, a great grey stone was brought and set upon the mound; NA-EX-62<editorial addition based on WH and the Men of Brethil call it Talbor, the Standing Stone,> and thereon the Elves carved in the Runes of Doriath:

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA

and beneath they wrote also:

NIENOR NÍNIEL

But she was not there, nor was it ever known whither the cold waters of {Teiglin}[Taeglin] had taken her.

Thus ends the Tale of the Children of Húrin, longest of all the lays of Beleriand.

NA-EX-59: It might be better to skip the sentence right before that insertion but I am not sure if that is really needed.

NA-EX-60: This is the only place were I did insert the wearing of the Dragon-helm into the later story. This might be to conservative but I sought it would work together with NA-EX-61.

NA-EX-61: The additions made here are risky since we have no clue how Tolkien would have dealt with the scene. But I followed the note in the Appendix of the Narn as good as I could.

NA-EX-62: We have already discussed the need of this change in WH were Aiwendil did remark that the word Talbor would not be understand if it is nowhere defined. Here now is the place to define it, but I found my self cheated by my memory. I thought that in WH we had an actual statement how this would have been done here but all I could find was this:
Quote:
An isolated slip, headed Names, has the following notes:
The Haladin name of people directly descended from Haldar Haleth's brother (by male or female line), a family or 'nothlir' from which the Chieftains or Halbars of Brethil were chosen by the Folk.
For halad sg. 'chieftain'..... halbar.
The Chieftain after Brandir was Hardang.
His evil-counsellor friend to be Daruin.
Dorlas > Darlas
Dar = mastery, lordship
bor = stone. The Stone in the Ring was the halabor. The Standing Stone was the Talbor.

The word halbar 'chieftain', to be substituted for halad, appears in a note pencilled on the genealogical table of the Haladin, where also the name Haldar was apparently altered to Halbar: see p. 238. The name Talbor of the Standing Stone appears also in an addition to the Narn plot-synopsis (p. 257), but the stone in the Moot-ring is named Angbor 'Doom-rock' in additions to the typescript text of WH (see p. 283). These new names, and Darlas for Dorlas, Daruin for Avranc, must represent a further group of substitutions subsequent to the final text of WH, although it is odd in that case that Hardang should be included.
It is clear, that the named plot synopsis is relatively late, but it is unknown how it is related to the edited text which Christopher Tolkien gave in UT. So if we think that the change is overbold here we would leave it out and would see how we can define the name Talbor in WH.

In addition to the numbered points there is a further case that must be considered: “Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder. So passed all that he possessed.”
This sentence isn’t quite correct if the Dragon-helm is considered. The Helm could be considered as not in Túrins possession but only a item loan by his elder to be given to his heirs. But that is very artificial. If we name the Helm here (“Then they lifted up Túrin, and saw that his sword was broken asunder. So passed all that he possessed NA-EX-61.5<editorial addition save the Dragon-helm of Dor-lómin>.”) it would be very strange not to mention its further placement.
We know that Tolkien planed for a time to return the Helm to Húrin while he came in contact to Brethil. But in Wh we decided that this is an unworkable plan or was skipped by JRR Tolkien while writing the text of WH. Thus on the one hand we cannot say that it was buried with Túrin and we can not say it was left in Brethil since we saw no way to in cooperate that into WH. I do not know any good way out of this dilemma that would not be a fan-fic. (I can envision a nice story-line were the helm was taken to Menegroth by Mablung in the hope that Morwen might be found and were Húrin received it there from Thingol or from Mablung himself. But that is pure fan-fic.) The more I think about this the more tend to try again to in cooperate the Helm into WH.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote