View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #25
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, I don't spend any time on this chapter by chapter boards. I couldn't devote time to reading the book again when we started this off last year. pity really. Once I finish my new Adrian Mole book (best set of books I've ever read other than LOTR) I'll try to devote time to reading LOTR yet again. these threads give as good a reason to do it than anything else.

Anyway to my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathriel
But my favourite moment is when the horn is blown and Theoden rides forth with Aragorn, now if you want heroics,you got it.
This is one of the key moments to me from the book regarding Aragorn's character. Theoden is asking Aragorn to ride out to his Death with him. There is no hesitation from Aragorn in Tolkien's text.
Quote:
'The end will not be long,' said the king. 'But I will not end here, taken like an old badger in a trap. Snowmane and Hasufel and the horses of my guard are in the inner court. When dawn comes, I will bid men sound Helm's horn, and I will ride forth. Will you ride with me then, son of Arathorn? Maybe we shall cleave a road, or make such an end as will be worth a song-if any be left to sing of us hereafter.'
'I will ride with you,' said Aragorn.
I know I may be reading too much into one sentence, but this really strikes a chord with me. To me, Aragorn knows that what he has been building up to for for all his life (the Kingship of Gondor) is now lost. He excepts Theoden's request without hesitation, he does not think of hiding in the Caves, or talking Theoden into holding on for more time.

PS I know Aragorn argues with Theoden before this on Gandalf's whereabouts and seems to cling to hope that Gandalf will arrive somehow, but to me, I read this as a false hope, just a rebuttal to Theoden's point on Gandalf's counsel not looking too good in the morning light.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote