View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #35
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I never counted the pages, but it always seemed a long chapter to me. You feel the time going slowly by. The attackers do this for a long time. Then they do that. Then there is a skirmish. Then people talk. Then they wait. Then they wait more. Then another fight breaks out, and it takes a long time to subdue. Is this night ever going to end? How many events can happen in just a single night! The chapter gives me more awareness of the time passing; it seems like a long chapter because it feels long. I suppose it's just as you said, a more believable version of a battle - you believe it more and you experience it better. I don't remember what exactly the movie has done with the battle, but if it really is long then it's definitely for a different reason.
I definitely agree--and I think that the mental impression of the chapter having so much going on in it, which feels as though it drags long through the night, is why, upon actually reading it, it seemed surprisingly short. Compared with something like "The Council of Elrond," it was a quick read--I not only got through it in one baby's nap, I actually ran out of chapter! It's an effect of pacing more than content, and it's impressive.