View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
Are all books popular with the literati good books? No. As proof of that I offer three words: The Great Gatsby. I could offer many others of similar ilk, but those will do as a summary.

Fordim: Of the three titles you mention, I noticed Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. This brings up to me a related dilemma that has bothered me for years for some reason. It's clearly a pet peave of mine, and perhaps it's the actor in me, but I have never understood the need for students of literature to co-opt certain pieces of drama and call them literature so they can be studied as such. To me, a play on paper without actors and a stage is no more a work of art (good or bad) than a blueprint is a cathedral or sheet music is a concert. I was wondering if this is the one you think is "not good" (quite awful!)?

I am not sure that a play only becomes a work of art when it is performed - there is the art of the writer and the artistry of the interpreters... and sometimes the latter can corrupt the former especially without extensive directions....( but I think, Pinter directed one of his own works without any of hte famous pauses once) . Sadly it is beyond my skill but I have musician friends who can browse sheet music as I can a novel. I remember one picking up a volume in a shop and after turning a few pages announcing that she had found a new friend - it freaked me out that she could look at the notes on the page and know she would like the music, but I guess I can read a play in the same way. My own Literature degree included a compulsory practical drama course though which helped with this though.

I do enjoy the Harry Potter books , though I think No 5 could have used a serious edit, and though she is clever and witty and knows her folklore, she is not in the same league for creativity as Tolkien, but I think she has been very clever at structuring her novels so far. I know this is going to sound so Anoraky but even as a very novice stargazer, I noticed that the OWL astronomy question was an impossibility -Orion, in June , in Scotland ... I think not.... Yet Tolkien's is spot on and according to Home he even had names for the planets that are not visible to the naked (and presumably even elvish eye).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote