View Single Post
Old 07-22-2002, 01:01 PM   #2
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Eucatastrophe. What an interesting word.

Quote:
...the sudden happy turn in a story which pierces you with a joy that brings tears (which I argued it is the highest function of fairy stories to produce).
I agree completely with that letter. In my opinion it was Tolkien's ability to so poignantly breathe life into the effects of joy and sorrow's reconciliation that makes his works great. Might this emotion, or the effects of this "sudden happy turn" be akin to transcendence for both the reader and for the character(s)?

Quote:
And I concluded by saying that the Resurrection was the greatest 'eucatastrophe' possible in the greatest fairy story-- and produces that essential emotion: Christian joy which produces tears because it is qualitatively so like sorrow, because it comes from those places where Joy and Sorrow are at one, reconciled, as selfishness and altruism are lost in Love..."
Perhaps LotR's relation to life as a Christian lies in this. I was surprised to find that when reading LotR I felt that same all-consuming joy/sorrow that I experienced when I was in prayer and communion with my Saviour. In both instances I have found myself in tears of joy that fall purely for the love and truth of it all, and are by far the best kind and the most sincere.

The overwhelming victory of love and ultimate truth shines through every page of LotR. It is humbling to read such powerful words, and I only hope that someday my writings will reach people with the truth as Tolkien's has and still does.

Great topic by the way, and very skillfully addressed.

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: The Silver-shod Muse ]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis