Thread: how tall??
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm not sure Thingol's height is actually given (not that I recall anyway).

As noted already Elendil was about 7'11", according to texts in Unfinished Tales, but seven feet tall (as also noted) according to a note dated 1969. According to Of Dwarves And Men anyway, 'Halfling' referred to: 'the normal height of men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar (especially those of Noldorin descent) which appears to have been about seven of our feet.'

I have doubts about Galadriel being 'only' six foot four inches, because in The Lord of the Rings both Galadriel and Celeborn are described as very tall, and the Lady no less tall than the Lord. And in a note describing Celeborn as a 'Linda of Valinor' (that argument aside for now) he was 'held by them to be tall, as his name indicated' ('Silver-tall'), but (it was added) the Teleri were in general somewhat less in build and stature than the Noldor.

OK 'somewhat less' in build in stature, but to my mind six foot four is quite notably shorter than seven feet -- especially for a Teler who was held by the Lindar to be tall (and this tallness being reflected in his name as well). If we raise Celeborn closer to the Noldor then perhaps we should raise Galadriel as well. Of course I'm juggling various unpublished texts to try and come up with something, and I'm not sure JRRT had arrived at something very definite on these things.

Tolkien did once write that Turgon was the tallest of the Children save Thingol (revised Fall of Gondolin), but in a later text (Shibboleth of Feanor) he made Argon the tallest of the brothers.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote