View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 04:08 PM   #5
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

The Perky Ent's post

The warmth of the sun brushed across the several layers of Nali's beard. A breeze rushed across the mountain as Nail tied his boots and checked his mail. A letter with a silver trim and a very royal seal caught Nali's eye. With a bit of uncertainty, Nali opened the letter slowly, as if it was a firework, ready to explode. With a befuddled face, Nali read the parchment, which stated:

Dear Nali, I, Balin invite you to partake in an expedition of honor, glory, and riches... Nali stopped as the opportunity of riches crossed his eyes. Nali had been in a bit of trouble with some very noble dwarfs owing them a hearty amount of money, due to an unfortunate mix-up. An unfortunate mix-up called cheating. The letter continued: ...I only ask you to visit me with a band of other dwarf's near king Dain's hall. There is some travel involved, and quite a bit of fighting, and...Uh...possibly injuries on one level or another...but the reward fully compensates the trials you face. And then some! If you would please visit me at mid-day, I would be much obliged. Cordially yours, Balin son of Fundin.

Nali was shocked. The riches spoke of would more than cover his debts, as well as make him a very rich man. A wise dwarf, or even a normal dwarf would have questioned the part about injuries on one lever or another, but then, Nali was not a normal dwarf. So Nali build up his strength, and at noon, he set off for Balin.

The travel took longer than expected, as it was several hours past mid-day when Nali finally made it to Balin. There were many dwarfs gathered by Balin, all looking like they were ready to set out. Nali couldn't help but feel ashamed about his lack of preparation. But then again, there was no call for an immediate travel.

Balin walked slowly to Nali, and with a mumbled comment under his breath, Balin greeted Nali with a very hearty, "Good Day!" Nali responded with his normal reply to a good day, which was: "Isn't it, though.”

"I will not lie to you, Nali son of Dwali, this mission is substantially dangerous. We, which is to say me and a couple of these dwarfs over here, are going on a quest. A quest...to reclaim Moria." Balin said in a depressed voice. If Nali had been drinking, it would have sprinted farther than ever before.

"Moria? Are you mad, Balin? Dwarrow-delf is destoryed. Have you heard none of the stories." Nali said as he swallowed a considerable amount of air. "Have you heard none of the stories of Durin's bane? There is terror there not conceivable to even the wisest dwarf. And you wish to reclaim it?"

"True, there is danger. But there is more to Khazad-dum than evil, Nali. There is mithril. A substance harder than dragon scales. And I'm not talking about shards of a once shining gem. I'm talking about mithril as far as the mine can see. An amount worth more than middle earth. Don't you see? With the reclaiming of Moria, we will bring the dying race of the dwarfs into the minds of all he dwell in Middle Earth!" Balin said, excitement pouring into his face.

There was silence. Despite his low intelligence, Nali new what fate probably awaited him. But this quest was not meant to sooth the debts of Nali son of Dwali. It was for all dwarfs and their honor.

With a shifty look, Nali spoke: "Alright. I'll do it! When do we leave?"