View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 PM   #34
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
I would not say I was defending Denethor, more that I was trying to view him without the weight of the story bearing down on his character. At this point as readers we have learned much and are fully convinced of the bad effects of the Ring, but Denethor is not, he is a character who has not left Minas Tirith in all that time.

. . .

I think that the story is so much more effective, and conveys far more of the tragedy when we can look at it through the eyes of each character and how they respond to events. I'd rather not look at Denethor as a flat out bad guy. I'm not seeking to defend him, but I want to know why he reacts in the way he does, as the story must have been written that way for a very good reason.
Oh, I am in complete agreement with you, Lalwendë, in your wishes to explore a character's mind on his or her own terms and I commend you for it. I would really be interested in exploring this point of view as it sheds light on, for example, Saruman, as I think most of our discussions here have tended towards an easy acceptance of the narrative's opinion of him.

My wish was slightly different, to point out how the narrative as well as a character's own actions can direct our interpretation. I think we-you and I-- both have similar interests, to understand why Denethor is shown the way he is. To be honest, I cannot help but feel he is doomed to fail as Tolkien wishes to show the ill effects of a stewardship based on faulty reasoning. Here is the leader not like Beowulf or Beortnoth, who lead out in battle, but someone supervising from the rear so to speak. Yet vanity is his downfall also. I also cannot help but think of Chamberlain when I read Denethor. A good man but not in the right place at the right time? Or is it that he lacks a stiff upper lip? Maybe there was no Eton in Gondor?

I think, though, that it is very constructive to recall Boromir's behaviour when we see Denethor, just as it is well to see how Faramir has had to struggle, as has Aragorn. In Middle-earth, there is something salutary about pain and struggling.