View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tar-Palantir has nailed it methinks.

Galadriel's enchantment in Lorien and the Girdle were different.

Galadriel's shows no sign's of having any 'foe repellent ' properties [and I do not think coupled with what else she seemed to be continually doing <see below> doubt if she would try a Melian style Girdle even if she had the strength].

Granted she may have and I bet did, use something of the lore she learned from Melian to weave the power of the ring throughout the land of Lothlorien for many miles whereas the effects of healind in Rivendell were only mentioned to be quite localized.

The mirror probably helped, but in no lore that we have of Galadriel is her power shown as much as in the statement, [quote]'...even as I speak to you, I perceive the Dark Lord and know his mind, or all of his mind that concerns the Elves. And he gropes ever to see me and my thought. But still the door is closed!'[quote]

This to me shows incontrovertibly that not only was she more powerful than Elrond [to whom 'all under the shadow was dark'] but she at the very least had some unknown [by me at least] advantage of Osanwe over Sauron himself. Perhaps because Sauron was always casting his will out into other creatures to control them, the strands of his intention were thus 'read' by her. If so a real weakness, and one he may not even know he had.

I must read Osanwe-Kenta again to see if it sheds any light on this.

But she was a master of this as is shown in the FotR [and actually somewhat well in the movie, I think someone who had read the O-K clued jackson in to exactly what was going on there] and I magine that the mirror was in some resects partially an extension of this power, they certainly worked together, for she could at the same time, be aware of the world around her 'do not touch the water', know what Frodo was seeing, and perceive the Dark Lord's mind.

So when people ask what Elves do all day, I would say some must practice serious splitting of the attention of their paerceptive and psychic faculties.

What Galadriel stats and implies shows incredible control that would make Yoda want to ask a few questions!

In terms of Melian's power, she at every turn in the events of the Silm, could intuitively sense the future therein contained. Look at her every dialogue in the Silm and the Narn in UT, and you will see her perceiving the likely effects of current or possible actions. No other being in M-E to my mind has so many instances where this occurs, though all of the 'good guys' have this forknowledge to some degree:
Finrod, Halbarad, Aragorn, Elrond all immediately come to mind, but for Melian along with the Girdle it seems to be her chief higher mental skill.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.