View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #271
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Rauthain

After many hours spent in planning, the room had become hot and close. Elladan and Elrohir were among the first to leave. Throwing wide the doors, Elrond’s sons spoke to encourage them once more, before turning so that all might follow them, ascending the steps into the stillness of the evening. It was a great relief when the cool night air spilled down the stairway washing over them, slowly rousing them from their sober thoughts of what lay ahead.

As the room emptied, only Kaldir and Rauthain remained behind, watching the others leave. And standing up after a few moments, Kaldir nodded to the old ranger and wordlessly moved toward the threshold. “Tarry yet awhile,” Rauthain requested. Turning slowly, Kaldir silently fixed him with his pale eyes. “I have marked what concerns you,” the ranger explained. “And it has troubled me also. Since I first learned that you followed the Ravennor I wondered what hold she might yet exert over you.”

"She has no power over me or my actions." Kaldir assured him. "I worry less what she might attempt, for what can she do but kill me? Of greater weight is what I might do to fail my companions or myself. She has left many scars upon my mind that have yet to heal fully. It is that weakness that concerns me. No other."

“Do not be unduly troubled by this, for you will not ride alone. And Dúlrain has your well being at heart as well as your interests.”

“And he lays injured as you have seen, attended to by Miss Nightshade. I do not think that he will be up to such a task,” Kaldir pronounce dryly.

“Ah Miss Nightshade! I suppose there are worse things than being wounded in body. If only one could be sure to receive her tender ministrations,” Rauthain sighed.

Kaldir allowed a faint smile at these words; “She has proven her merit, has she? Yet she is not quite as docile as you seem to believe.”

“No matter. One can easily overlook such things.”

“Are you so determined to carry on my father’s work to see me wed, that again you bring it up?” Kaldir’s said, his voice edging toward impatience.

Seeing this, Rauthain joked, “Married? You? No, I know better than to place my hope on that. I only thought to ask her to keep house for me in my advancing age, so that I might protect her from men who would toy with her affections, such as you and Dúlrain. Though you may visit, of course.”

“If it is a housekeeper you want, I would suggest Mrs. Banks,” Kaldir countered, visibly relaxing. “She has skill enough to make even your poor rations palatable!” he quipped, turning to climb the steps.

Rauthain laughed, “I see you do remember small things! But stay a little while longer, for I have not spoken yet of what is forefront in my mind.” Obliging, Kaldir paused on the stairway. “It was only a short time ago when my focus lay solely on capturing Naiore, to vindicate myself as well to avenge who you once were. But now I see that such things must be secondary, and that my past continually threatens to overshadow my usefulness. Dúlrain will not be the only one to keeping watch over you. You have my word.”

Kaldir smiled grimly, his eyes meeting Rauthain's evenly. "While I appreciate your offers of vigilance, I assure you that I am in no need of a nursemaid. As for the past, perhaps I am as much at fault as you ever were in that I believed myself stronger than I was. I do not plan to make that mistake again. This time, I shall bear my limitations in mind. As for yourself, you would be better served by concentrating on the matter at hand than by worrying yourself with me."

“I will remember your words, but humor me, for I too am determined not to make the same mistakes again,” Rauthain said getting up to join Kaldir. And together they climbed the steps, leaving the stagnant air of the counsel hall behind them.