View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 01:43 AM   #48
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
It is long and difficult to speech English, and I can't express exactly what I want to say. Rhhhh !
This is at least a problem we share.

About pronunciation: Ma own name does never change in spelling, but when I move to a country speaking a different language, even one in the same group of languages e.g. English, the pronunciation will change.

If we now consider for a moment that the two Legolas' were one and the same, then we see him move from a country speaking a northern dialect of Sindarin enriched by Quenya words (Gondolin) to a country of speaking a fare removed Silvian dialect which is slowly sindarizied by the influence of his father and grandfather and the contact with other communities over a time span of 3000 years.

Under such circumstances I think that a slight change in the pronunciation is at least possible if not probable. Since we also can consider that in Gondolin the Fëanorien Tengwar was used and in Mircwood the elves tended rather to the Cirth a appropriate change of spelling seems possible as well.

That is not to say that I would not argue for not changing the name if we really reopen that choice, put I am a bit reluctant to through away the old decision, since many of the old members which discussed and voted on this one are no longer active and will not take part in a new discussion. So what I do really is teasing you to bring forth your arguments as compelling as possible to turn at least all the active members over to your side not only me.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote