View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #79
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmawen
I just wanted to point out that Tolkien was a very religious man, and sex out of wedlock is highly frowned upon in it...so I'm pretty sure that HE certainly never put nor hinted it in the books.
Yes, but the RCs tend to frown on incest as well, but that didn't stop Tolkien from including it in his works. He may have been a religious person, but he was neither stupid nor blind to the reality of the world. People have sex and sometimes they have sex before they are married. That the movie should acknowledge this, and perhaps even celebrate it, does -- I think -- PJ great credit for having had the nerve to make his Elven Princess a creature of flesh and blood and desire, rather than a distant and idealised figure carved from cold stone.

That kiss at the end of RotK was wonderful. It was the big pay off to their whole relationship insofar as they can openly demonstrate to everyone not just that they are in love, but that they desire one another. After all, the "point" of their union -- in the historical perspective -- is that they are going to produce an heir who reunites the bloodlines of the Eldar and the Edain: and there's only one way they can do that....