View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #335
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine did not know fully why, but he felt pity rise up within him. He would never tell this to Léof, who desired no man's pity, but Eodwine perceived an unnamed need in the lad. He knew that he had asked an open ended question, and that by answering it in its fullness, Léof was saying much. Now that he had so spoken, Eodwine spoke carefully in return.

"Léofric, you shall remain my ostler. Only one man's authority stands at all times between mine and you, that of my steward. All others will have no call to give you command unless I say so. Thus it shall be for a year and a day, if you choose to remain as you have been this past month. Would you?"

Léof's face had cleared as he listened to Eodwine's words. Though he could read no minds, Eodwine could tell well enough that the lad was glad to be under only one other in Eodwine's Hall.

"I accept your terms, Eorl," Léof responded.

"It is well, Léofric. You may stand down.

"Next, I call Saeryn of the Folde!"

Saeryn looked suddenly at Eodwine in confusion, for they both knew that she was a guest in his Hall and no laborer except by choice. She slowly rose in her confusion.

Eodwine stood and stepped down from the dais. He faced her as she stepped out of the gathered crowd and approached him. By instinct, she took a place opposite and facing him so that his dais and chair could be seen between them by Gárwine who stood by the door.

Eodwine smiled, knowing his purpose, and allowed his smile to broaden ever so slightly, for he intended to enjoy the speaking of it.

"Lady Saeryn, I stand before you as an equal, for you are wellborn. You are my guest, and up until today have been under no obligation to me except what you have chosen."

He had piqued her curiosity; it was all over his face. He allowed a glance to the one called Farahil, who was watching intently. Degas looked quite curious as well.

"Today is a different day," Eodwine declared. "And so I ask you, Lady Saeryn, if you will consent-" Eodwine paused, allowing a murmur to run like a trickle through the gathered crowd before quieting. "-to be the Lady of this Hall-" The murmurs of the crowd flowed like a stream gathering speed. Saeryn's eyes had widened and her mouth had parted. "-until at least one of us should marry?" Stunned silence. Eodwine could feel the eyes of all upon him. He was enjoying it. He could see in his peripheral vision the confoundment of Degas and the astonishment in Farahil. Was that a little bit of outrage, too? He kept a small smile on his face, watching Saeryn carefully.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-30-2006 at 01:34 PM.