Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Trying to rmember how I took Boromir's death in the book is tough.

I Think his death was far more sympathetic the second time around. The first time like maany I feel I had a "Well, that's what you get." Sort of attitude for it.

After reading about Faramir and Denethor etc etc... I think Pride was cultivated in Boromir as he was clearly the favorite son and probably always praised. Of course he'd think he could wield the ring for his people. I never really took Faramir's lack of desiring the ring to be a overtly wise action(that may have been part of it) I always saw a downtroddin Son who was never good enough why would he have the confidence to try to wield the ring.

I think Eomer's line too is a bit, shall I say overconfident? He didn't face down the ring and It's temptation head on it's easy to say you could deny it without knowing its full power and draw.

I think in the movies Boromir was portrayed as more antagonistic but mostly because subtlty is often lost onscreen. I think he was supposed to be less liked thereby gaining that all important redemption factor with Merry and Pippin.