Thread: Boromir's Death
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 02:07 PM   #24
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
The fact that Boromir's death happens "off screen", so to speak, is interesting to me and I wonder if it is part of one of Tolkiens themes of 'martial glory vs. true glory'. In his death, Boromir achieves a sort of martial glory, as he as done in his life. A heroic death against many foes. And yet at the same time, he dies defending the Hobbits, repenting of his fall to the Ring's influence. Does he, therefore, almost reach 'true glory' beyond simple martial glory?
I would think that a self-sacrifice to defend those weaker than himself, coupled with remorse for his actions involving Frodo, elevated Boromir's death from the "usual" heroic deaths in the books, like other unseen demises such as that of Halbarad of the Dúdedain or Grimbold of the Rohirrim (admittedly both minor characters).

I wonder too if there was also a desire on the part of the author to delay giving details of the fight to create some additional suspense for the reader regarding the fate of Merry and Pippin.