View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 09:13 PM   #36
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I dont think he(r) life is connected to the ring though.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I assumed this meant that her life was connected in the same way every mortal in Middle Earth's life was connected to the Ring. If she is mortal, she has more of a stake in whether the Ring is destroyed or regained by Sauron. She can no longer go West and escape it as the other Elves can.<P>Personally, I like the toned down Arwen in TTT and ROTK; it was "Xenarwen" I didn't care for, mainly because it messed up a potentially great Frodo scene and solidified so many people's viewpoint of the movie Frodo as a wimp (although he does show strength more quietly in other places in the movie). The Ford of Bruinen scene would have been better without the sword wielding Elf princess carrying the helpless hobbit. It takes Arwen out of her element and diminishes Frodo unnecessarily. That's my only Arwen complaint (and that one is aimed at whoever rewrote that scene, not Liv!). Otherwise, she is softly strong and strikingly beautiful as she was meant to be! I always got mad at Elrond for playing such head games with her and making her cry; I never faulted her for being teary all the time. It's all Elrond's fault! (That, and I thought the wishy-washy attitude ascribed to Aragorn with respect to her ultimate fate was unnecessary, but that it probably just my own conceit. I understand it is a bit of movie-tension that couldn't be left alone...)<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta<p>[ 10:15 PM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote