View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I have not read the foreword discussion but I plan on getting into this chapter by chapter thing relatively soon. In the meanwhile, I'm finding this suggestion box thread rather interesting.
Quote:
I think posts should be more open and accessible to everyone in the Barrow-Downs, not just a few more 'learned' people.
Quote:
Fingolfin II, could you explain what you mean by 'more open and accessible'?....Or would you prefer not to see outside critics and scholars quoted with their ideas about Tolkien?
I don't know if that's what he meant, but that certainly is an issue. For one thing, I want to hear what you guys think and I want you to hear what I think. Critics and scholars should take a back seat to us and only be quoted if someone thinks that a point the critic/scholar makes is good and can't possibly be put into better words. Also, when some critic or scholar is quoted they are nearly always speaking in "university paper" language, as Squatter so aptly put it. And I'm sure for many Downers, "university paper" posting equals less fun. This, of course, is not always the case, but it can be.

I haven't read the thread in question, but I can certainly recall viewing other threads that contained lengthy, academic posts that seemed to suck the oxygen right out of the room. The posts were full of words but there was very little meaning per word. This is what happens when a poster has a way to express himself that would use about one tenth the space but elects to take the long road.
Quote:
I don't think anyone who posted wanted to deter others from posting--certainly there is nothing here like the curt, short, sharp style the guys used when I came to BD.
I don't know what to say about that. It was in part the curt, short, sharp style I saw that made me join this forum. That sort of style gets across the same idea in less space and makes me smile at the same time.

For instance, let's say someone starts a new thread and asks "Why did Feanor want to chase Morgoth so bad?" I would prefer to see someone post something like this-

So, did you miss the parts where it said-
1) Feanor loved his dad
2)Morgoth killed his dad
3)Feanor loved his jewels
4)Morgoth stole his jewels

I'd rather see that than some super long post dripping with psychology terms that ends up saying no more than the previous post. The only way I'd want a long post is if it says a lot more. You know, begins to ponder why Feanor felt this way about this, and what he might've been thinking at this time, and what he might've said to so and so at this other time. But all too often it's just smart sounding posts taking up way too much space.

I love the curt, short, sharp style.

But of course this discussion isn't going to mean anything once we get past the foreword because I agree with these posts-
Quote:
What I hope is that in moving into the actual chapters more people will contribute to discussion.
Quote:
I think once we hit "fun" chapters, more people will want to throw in their two cents.
Quote:
I agree that the foreword isn't the most interesting part of the book for a lot of readers. I'm sure that the Prologue and A Long-Expected Party will draw a lot more people into the discussion who are more interested in Hobbits than allegory versus applicability.
I'm sure more people will be posting soon.