View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #13
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
I think The Phantom is right when he/she says:

Quote:
Critics and scholars should take a back seat to us and only be quoted if someone thinks that a point the critic/scholar makes is good and can't possibly be put into better words.
I agree that the Foreword doesn't offer much scope for many people to post, as it is concerned largely with Tolkien's motives and thoughts. However, when we discuss the actual book I think more people will participate as they'll realise they don't need to write 2 or 3 pages on the events that occur. So by following The Phantom's advice (quoted above), hopefully less people will be put off by how long the posts are and the seemingly 'deep' discussion (i.e. about Theology and other myths, etc.) and will have something worthwhile to contribute, even if it's only two or three lines long. So, Bêthberry that's what I mean about making posts 'more open and accessible' to everyone, by not getting carried away with (sometimes obscure) aspects of the book that people may not have a knowledge of, but to stick to the point and something everyone can relate to (i.e. Aragorn's quest for King). I admit that making posts 'more open and accessible' was a rather vague statement though .

In answer to your comment on the age gap between some Barrow-Downs users I totally agree. I'm only fifteen, whereas others are much older and some are even younger. This does contribute to potential misunderstandings between people who have been on for a longer time, and those who have not.

However, I also believe that while more 'experienced' posters should aim to try and make their post so everyone can reply (I realise that this is not always possible, especially in debates about HoME and The Letters), the onis should also be on new posters to contribute to the discussion themselves.

Hope that all makes sense.

EDIT: What I should have said is that the discussions should be 'more open and accessible' to everyone.

Last edited by Fingolfin II; 06-12-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Fingolfin II is offline   Reply With Quote