Old 03-04-2003, 06:18 PM   #52
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Lush:
Quote:
Basically, we can exercise our right to whine all we want (once again, this is not meant as an insult: I whine all the time, and find that it's a great way to relieve general or specific frustration), but if we want actual change to take place (Iarwain apparently does, as do I), we're going to have to carefully assess the options laid out before us. I am researching the topic as I type this message: e-mailing professors, calling up old teachers and even harassing people at certain other institutions of higher learning (I seem to have a lot of time on my hands; This is what happens to you when you give up on the boys ), not because I think Iarwain is some sort of dweeb who doesn't know what he's talking about, but because I see that there is enough possibility in what he is trying to say to eventually implement change, though it's going to take a whole lot of time, maybe a few centuries, even. But everyone has to start somewhere, right?
Yes I've tried whining [a joke [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]]. Yes, it's true. It would take a long time for "implementing" change, but Iarwainhas started, through the forum. In the future might we be able to call up proffesors, the media and [as you say] harrasing people [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]? [<BTW: I think we should change that-I don't want to harrass anyone or anything like that! Let's try to be more demure and humble]. Your point is clearly taken, but I would still join in trying to win the arguement [no matter how long it takes].

And mind you,
Quote:
Lush, you are way too convincing for your own good.
Yep,I agree!
The Saucepan Man:
Quote:
The problem, I think, is the general disdain with which the literary world views fantasy. It seems to be a generally held view amongst academics that works of the fantasy genre cannot have literary value in the same way as, for example, the works of Dickens.

But I see no reason why this should not change over time. For example, although Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein are of the horror genre, they are generally regarded as great literary works, certainly moreso than, for example, the novels of Stephen King. But they still fit into the horror genre.

So, I do not see why books such as LotR and the Silmarillion should not in time come to be generally accepted as the literary masterpieces that they are, while still remaining within the fantasy genre. Indeed, given the amount of literary analysis devoted to JRRT's works, compared to those of other fanatsy writers, it seems to me that this process is happily well underway.
True, true. I've been pondering about this flaw [in my opinion] myself. It should be a classic!

BTW: I'm glad all of you agree that Tolkien's books are under the genre of fantasy-I think it is too, but I need help understanding why it is also considered to by under sci-fi. I haven't asked this question on any part of the forum, but now it has surfaced after so long...

I talked about it with my 6th grade teacher once and he didn't know either. What kind of science would agree with Tolkien, I wonder.

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: InklingElf ]