Old 03-05-2003, 07:31 PM   #70
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

Diamond18:
Quote:
Iarwain (and anyone else, for that matter), you really ought to read #5, A Wizard of Earthsea and its ensuing novels, The Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore, Tehanu, Tales from Earthsea, and The Other Wind. (Six, eh eh eh)*
I've just read the first two books a couple weeks ago-and yes this is some great fantasy, one shouldn't miss! I'm planning to read The Farthest Shore soon.

The Saucepan Pan: I've also read Dune aswell [I've heard tell that Dune Messiah is good too].

Quote:
Both (all three, including Horror) genres have their prizes and their boobies. I would be hard pushed not to rate Asimov's books as classics. So, it's not really the genre that counts, but the quality of the book. For example, Wuthering Heights is probably best defined as a work of romantic fiction. And so are the works of Barbara Cartland. I know which I would rather read ...
Rightly put. In short it would revert to a quote [that i'm sure most everyone has heard before]:
Quote:
Don't judge a book by it's cover
Something like that relates to what you're saying. I never said I was bias to sci-fi, just wondering why Tolkien was classified under sci-fi...Great points!