View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Michael Hordern as Gandalf and Holm, Nighy and Woodthorpe as Frodo Sam and gollum are unbeatable for me...
Almost entirely agree. Although I found Holm's Frodo a little too old, and a little too aggressive at times, it was a performance that knocked me for six.

I think the only reason McKellan's Gandalf was not more powerful for me was that Horden had already provided, for me, the definitive Gandalf.

And Mithalwen, I'd add John McAndrew's Pippin, Andrew Seear's Faramir, and Douglas Livingstone's Gimli to the list of unbeatables you cite.

But back to the thread title, Elrond was one of the characters of whom I never really had a visual image in my mind. I did not see him as manipulative, though, and his character was certainly twisted and used to drive the plot and the tension. Neither do I think Elrond - or indeed Tolkien - would have considered Isildur in the light that PJ's Elrond appears to. Reminds me of the Parodic Precis of Bakshi's LOTR on the Tolkien Sarcasm Page: "Ha! Some hero: Isildur the backstabbing sneak."
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote