View Single Post
Old 10-23-2002, 04:33 PM   #37
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Although the Mirkwood/Greenwood Sindar were rather anti-Noldor, I recall reading something on the lines of Thranduil or his father 'resenting the intrusions of Noldor' into sylvan realms. So from that point of view the sylvanization of his name makes sense.

I have often wondered if this resentment [ aimed particulary at Galadriel and Celeborn] was the cause of the lack of contact [mentioned by Celeborn in FotR] between the 2 communities of [predominantly] Sylvan Elves.

My personal guess [since I am on the subject [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ] is that the Elves of Dorwinion were fiercly anti-Noldor and that somehow this either rubbed off on many of Thranduil's kingdom and soured Lothlorien/Mirkwood relations or caused a sort of trade with them or us attitude.

All pure hypothesis put together from UT, Hobbit and Celeborn's words to the Fellowship.

[ October 23, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote