Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2001, 12:19 PM   #27
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spirit of Mist
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

If you said yes, I would still reserve the right to voice my own more or less informed opinion, though if I knew who I were debating with it might affect the degree of deference I would accord the poster's &quot;scholarship&quot;. I was merely commenting that your mode of argument seems familiar to me, even if your nickname does not match.

You made some good points, though my skepticism concerning the concept of 1000s of Balrogs pre-dated the note which appears in MR. Up to now, this discussion appears to be a matter of strict construction vs. divining JRRT's intentions (perhaps &quot;reasonable construction&quot. As such, it probably cannot be resolved with certainty and must be a matter of opinion.

So Bob, do you have any opinions concerning &quot;round Arda&quot; or the extent of commerce out of the East Gate of Moria?

Congrats on the baby, whoever you are.

--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth." </p>