View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #25
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
... Those that were hurt or sick he tended, {and gave to them the lembas of Melian{;}>. NA-EX-35 <Ap Narn {It may be mentioned here that when}When Beleg brought out the lembas from his pack {(see The Silmarillion pp. 202, 204) Túrin refused it: The}the silver leaves were red in the firelight; and when Túrin saw the seal his eyes darkened. ‘What have you there?’ he said.
‘The greatest gift that one who loves you still has to give,’ answered Beleg. ‘Here is lembas, the waybread of the Eldar, that no Man yet has tasted.’
‘The Helm of my fathers I take,’ said Túrin, ‘with good will for your keeping; but I will not receive gifts out of Doriath.’
‘Then send back your sword and your arms,’ said Beleg. ‘Send back also the teaching and fostering of your youth. And let your men die in the desert to please your mood. Nonetheless, this way-bread was a gift not to you but to me, and I may do with it as I will. Eat it not, if it sticks in your throat; but others here may be more hungry and less proud.’
Then Túrin was abashed, and in that matter overcame his pride.> NA-TI-15.3 and they{And his men} were quickly healedNA-EX-35.1 <CoH . For in those days the Grey-elves were still a high people, possessing great power, and they were wise in the ways of life and of all living things; and>{, for} though {the Grey-elves}<CoH they> were less in {skill and knowledge}<CoH craft and lore> than the Exiles from Valinor{, in the ways of the life of Middle-earth} they had {a wisdom}<CoH many arts> beyond the reach of Men. {NA-EX-36 <Ap Narn Andróg was cured of this wound by Beleg, but it seems that his dislike and distrust of the Elf was not thereby mitigated; and Mîm's hatred of Beleg became all the fiercer, for he had thus {"}undone{"} his curse upon Andróg. ‘It will bite again,’ he said. It came into Mîm's mind that if he also ate the lembas of Melian he would renew his youth and grow strong again; and since he could not come at it by stealth he feigned sickness and begged it of his enemy. When Beleg refused it to him the seal was set upon Mîm's hatred, and all the more because of Túrin's love for the Elf.>} NA-TI-15.7 {And because}{Because Beleg}<CoH Moreover Beleg the Archer was great among the people of Doriath; he> was strong and enduring, <CoH and> far-sighted in mind as in eye, <CoH and at need he was valiant in battle, relying not only upon the swift arrows of his long bow, but also upon his great sword Anglachel.> {he}He came to be held in honour among the outlaws{; but the hatred of Mîm}<CoH And ever the more did hatred grow> for the Elf that had come into {Bar-en-Danwedh}[Bar-en-Danweð] {grew ever greater,} <CoH in the heart of Mîm, who hated all Elves, as has been told, and who looked with a jealous eye on the love that Túrin bore to Beleg.> {and}And he sat with Ibun his son in the deepest shadows of his house, speaking to none. But Túrin paid now little heed to the Dwarf{; and when}.<CoH
When> winter passed, and <CoH stirring came, and the> spring{ came, they}<CoH , the outlaws soon> had sterner work to do.><CoH Morgoth’s might was moved; and as the long fingers of a groping hand the forerunners of his armies probed the ways into Beleriand.>
NA-TI-16 <Sil77 Who knows now the counsels of Morgoth? Who can measure the reach of his thought, who had been Melkor, mighty among the Ainur of the Great Song, and sat now, a dark lord upon a dark throne in the North, weighing in his malice all the tidings that came to him, <CoH whether by spy or by traitor, seeing in the eyes of his mind and understanding> {and perceiving} more of the deeds and purposes of his enemies than even the wisest of them feared, save only Melian the Queen{?}. To her often the thought of Morgoth reached out, and there was foiled.>
NA-EX-36.1 <CoH In this year, therefore, he turned his malice towards the lands west of Sirion, where there was still power to oppose him. Gondolin still stood, but it was hidden. Doriath he knew, but could not enter yet. Further still lay Nargothrond, to which none of his servants had yet found the way, a name of fear to them; there the people of Finrod dwelt in hidden strength. And fare away from the South, beyond the white woods of the birches of Nimbrethil, from the coast of Arvernien and the mouths of Sirion, came rumour of the Havens of the Ships. Thither he could not reach until all else had fallen.

So now the Orcs came down out of the North in ever greater numbers.>NA-TI-17 <Sil77 {And now again the might of Angband was moved; and as the long fingers of a groping hand the forerunners of his armies probed the ways into Beleriand.} Through Anach they came, and Dimbar was taken, and all the north marches of Doriath. Down the ancient road they came that led through the long defile of Sirion, past the isle where Minas Tirith of Finrod had stood, and so through the land between Malduin and Sirion, and on through the eaves of Brethil to the Crossings of {Teiglin}[Taeglin]. Thence <CoH of old> the road {went}<CoH passed> on into the Guarded Plain{; but}<CoH , and then along the feet of the highlands watched over by {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð], it ran down into the vale of Narog and came at last to Nargothrond. But> the Orcs did not go far upon it, as yet, for there dwelt now in the wild a terror that was hidden, and upon the red hill were watchful eyes of which they had not been warned.
{For}<CoH In that spring> Túrin put on again the Helm of Hador<CoH , and Beleg was glad. At first their company had less than fifty men, but the woodcraft of Beleg and the valour of Túrin made them seem to their enemies as a host. The scouts of the Orcs were hunted, their camps were espied, and if they gathered to march in force in some narrow place, out of the rocks of from the shadow of the trees there leaped the Dragon-helm and his men, tall and fierce. Soon at the very sound of his horn in the hills their captains would quail and the Orcs would turn to flight before any arrow whined or sword was drawn. NA-EX-37.2b <editorial bridge And the Lay tells about that time:
><Lay Thus war was waked __ in the woods once more
for the foes of Faërie, __ and its fame widely,
nor on robber-raids __ now rode they ever,
who fended from NA-EX-37.5{Faërie}[friends] __ the fiends of Hell. {660}15>
It has been told that when Mîm surrendered his hidden dwelling on {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð] to Túrin and his company, he demanded that he who had loosed the arrow that slew his son should break his bow and his arrows and lay them at the feet of Khîm; and that man was Andróg. Then with great illwill Andróg did as Mîm bade. Moreover Mîm declared that Andróg must never again bear bow and arrow, and he laid a curse on him, that if nevertheless he should do so, then would he meet his own death by that means.
Now in the spring of that year Andróg defied the curse of Mîm and took up a bow again in a foray from {Bar-en-Danwedh}[Bar-en-Danweð]; and in that foray he was struck by a poisoned orc-arrow, and was brought back dying in pain. But Beleg healed him of his wound NA-EX-36b <Ap Narn {Andróg was cured of this wound by Beleg}, but {it seems that }his dislike and distrust of the Elf was not thereby mitigated>. And now the hatered that Mîm bore to Beleg was increased still more, for he had thus undone his curse; but ‘it will bite again,’ he said. It came into Mîm's mind that if he also ate the lembas of Melian he would renew his youth and grow strong again; and since he could not come at it by stealth he feigned sickness and begged it of his enemy. When Beleg refused it to him the seal was set upon Mîm's hatred, and all the more because of Túrin's love for the Elf.>

In that year>{; and} far and wide in Beleriand the whisper went, under wood and over stream and through the passes of the hills, saying that the Helm and Bow that had fallen in DimbarNA-EX-36.2 <CoH (as was thought)> had arisen again beyond hope. Then many <CoH , both Elves and Men,> who went leaderless, dispossessed but undaunted, <CoH , remnants of battle and defeat, and lands laid waste,> took heart again, and came to seek the Two Captains{. Dor-Cúarthol, the Land of Bow and Helm, was in that time named all the region between {Teiglin}[Taeglin] and the west march of Doriath; and Túrin named himself anew, Gorthol, the Dread Helm, and his heart was high again.}> NA-EX-36.3 <CoH , though where they had their stronghold none yet knew.> NA-EX-37 <Ap Narn Túrin received gladly all who came to him, but by the counsel of Beleg he admitted no newcomer to his refuge ... or in the southward fens, from Methed-en-glad (‘the End of the Wood’) NA-EX-37.1 <CoH south of the Crossing of {Teiglin}[Taeglin]> to Bar-erib some leagues south of {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð]{; and from}<CoH in the once fertile land between Narog and the Meres of Sirion.> From all these places men could see the summit of {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð], and by signals receive tidings and commands.> {NA-EX-37.2 <editorial bridge And the Lay tells about that time:
><Lay Thus war was waked __ in the woods once more
who fended from NA-EX-37.5{Faërie}[friends] __ the fiends of Hell. {660}15>
NA-EX-38 <Ap Narn {It is several times emphasized that }Beleg remained throughout opposed to Túrin's grand desig ...
... Here I desire only to gather strength. To my father's land in Dor-lómin my heart turns, and thither I shall go when I may.’>
}NA-EX-39 <Ap Narn In this way, before the summer had passed, the following of Túrin was swelled to a great force; and the power of Angband was thrown back. Word of this came even to Nargothrond, and many there grew restless, saying that if an Outlaw could do such hurt to the Enemy, what might not the Lord of Narog do. But OrodrethNA-EX-39.1 <CoH King of Nargothrond> would not change his counsel. ... should they have need (and in this, it is thought, he was moved by Thingol and Melian).> {NA-TI-18 <Sil77 {In Menegroth, and in the deep halls of Nargothrond, and} {even}Even in the hidden realm of Gondolin, the fame of the deeds of the Two Captains was heard; and in Angband also they were known. Then Morgoth laughed, for now by the Dragon-helm was Húrin's son revealed to him again; and ere long {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð] was ringed with spies.>}
NA-EX-40 <Ap Narn {It is also asserted that Morgoth for a time}NA-EX-40.1 <CoH Then Morgoth> withheld his hand{ and made mere}<CoH ; though he made frequent> feints of attack, {"So}so that by easy victory the confidence of these rebels might become overweening{; as}<CoH . As> it proved indeed{."}> NA-EX-40.2 <CoH Fot Túrin now gave the name Dor-Cúarthol to all the land between {Teiglin}[Taiglin] and the west march of Doriath; and claiming the lordship of it he named himself anew, Gorthol, the Dread Helm; and his heart was high. But to Beleg it seemd now that the Helm had wrought otherwise with Túrin than he had hoped; and looking into the days to come he was troubled in mind.
One day as summer was wearing on he and Túrin were sitting in the Echad resting after a long affray and march. Túrin said to Beleg:‘Why are you sad, and thoughtful? ...
‘Nonetheless, I will be the captain of my own host,’ said Túrin; ‘and if I fall, then I fall. Here I stand in the path of Morgoth, and while I so stand he cannot use the southward road.{‘}> NA-EX-40.3 <Ap Narn For that in Nargothrond there should be some thanks; and even help with needful things.{’
In another brief passage of speech between them Túrin replied to Beleg's warnings of the frailty of his power in these words:
‘}I wish to rule a land; but not this land. Here I desire only to gather strength. To my father's land in Dor-lómin my heart turns, and thither I shall go when I may.’>

NA-EX-40.4 <CoH Report of the Dragon-helm in the land west of Sirion came swiftly to the ear of Morgoth, ...
[here follows a long extract from CoH telling of the treachery of Mîm]
... The Orc-captian thought that the fate of Beleg might well be left to Mîm; but as to letting Túrin go free, ‘alive to Angband’ were his orders. NA-TI-19a <Sil77 {In the waning of the year Mîm the Dwarf and Ibun his son went out from Bar-en-Danwedh to gather roots in the wild for their winter store; and they were taken captive by Orcs. Then for a second time Mîm promised to guide his enemies by the secret paths to his home on Amon Rûdh; but yet he sought to delay the fulfilment of his promise, and demanded that Gorthol should not be slain.} Then the Orc-captain laughed, and he said to Mîm: 'Assuredly Túrin son of Húrin shall not be slain.'
{Thus was Bar-en-Danwedh betrayed, for the Orcs came upon it by night at unawares, guided by Mîm. There many of Túrin's company were slain as they slept; but some fleeing by an inner stair came out upon the hill-top, and there they fought until they fell, and their blood flowed out upon the seregon that mantled the stone.}> While agreeing to the conditions he insisted that they keep Ibun as hostage; ...
[here follows the elaborate discription of the battle of Amon Ruð from CoH)
... Most valiant of these was Andróg, who fell NA-SL-02b {mortally }wounded{ by an arrow} at the head of the outside stair.
But Mîm and Beleg were not the only living beings on that stony height. Andróg, though himself wounded NA-SL-02.1 { to the death}, crawled among the dead bodies towards them, and seizing a sword he thrust it at the Dwarf. Shrieking in fear Mîm ran to the brink of the cliff and disappeared: he fled down a steep and difficult goat’s path that was known to him. NA-EX-41b {<Ap Narn It was only then that {he}[Andróg] revealed to Túrin the existence of the inner stair; and he was one of those who came by that way to the summit. There he is said to have fought more valiantly than any, NA-SL-02 but he fell at last{ mortally} wounded by an arrow{; and thus the curse of Mîm was fulfilled.}> NA-TI-20 <Sil77 But a net was cast over Túrin as he fought, and he was enmeshed in it, and overcome, and led away.
And at length when all was silent again Mîm crept out of the shadows of his house; and as the sun rose over the mists of Sirion he stood beside the dead men on the hill-top. But he perceived that not all those that lay there were dead; for by one his gaze was returned, and he looked in the eyes of Beleg the Elf. Then with hatred long-stored Mîm stepped up to Beleg, and drew forth the sword Anglachel that lay beneath the body of one that had fallen beside him; but Beleg stumbling up seized back the sword and thrust it at the Dwarf, and Mîm in terror fled wailing from the hill-top.} And Beleg cried after him: ‘The vengeance of the house of Hador will find you yet!’> But Andróg putting forth his last strength cut through the wristbands and fetters that bound Beleg, and so released him. NA-SL-02.2 {; but dying he said: ‘My hurts are too deep even for your healing.’}
The death of Beleg {NA-EX-42 <Lay Beleg>}
Beleg sought among the dead for Túrin, to bury him; but he could not discover his body. He knew then that Húrin’s son was still alive, and taken to Angband; but he remained perforce in {Bar-en-Danwedh}[Bar-en-Danweð] until his wounds were healed.> NA-TI-21b <Sil77 Now Beleg was sorely wounded, but he was mighty among the Elves of Middle-earth, and he was moreover a master of healing. Therefore he did not die, and slowly his strength returned; and {he sought in vain among the dead for Túrin, to bury him. But he found him not; and then he knew that Húrin's son was yet alive, and taken to Angband}. NA-EX-42.1 <Aelfwine & Dírhaval A And in this way also Andróg {who was in the outlaw-band of Túrin, and} alone[ of the outlaw-band of Túrin] survived the battle on the summit of {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð].> Then with{With} little hope Beleg departed from {Amon Rûdh}[Amon Rûð] and set out northward, ...
Up to NA-EX-37.2b I remoulded our text based on CoH. In parts this might be hard to follow. Therefore I will give here an extract of clean text:
NA-EX-34.5 to NA-EX-35.1:
Quote:
Those that were hurt or sick he tended, and they were quickly healed. For in those days the Grey-elves were still a high people, possessing great power, and they were wise in the ways of life and of all living things; and though they were less in craft and lore than the Exiles from Valinor they had many arts beyond the reach of Men.
NA-EX-37.2b the postion were this part of the Lay is inserted is slightly changed.
NA-EX-37.2, NA-EX-37.5, NA-EX-38 and NA-TI-18: Mark that all this is skipt and brought in at diffrent positions following CoH.
NA-EX-40.3 This passages is not in CoH but it shows what kind of help Nargothrond granted.
NA-EX-40.4 From this point the material in [b}CoH[/b] much more elaborate than anything we had have before. It seems therefore best simply to take CoH as the basis text to be edited. (Sorry for all those that have no access to the text for not giving it here in full.)
NA-TI-19a Here I used the tricky uternace of the Orc captian about not slaying Túrin. But I have some doubts if this can be done.
NA-SL-02b and NA-SL-02.1 Following the intor we used Andróg can not be "mortally" wounded.
NA-EX-41b, NA-SL-02 and NA-TI-20: Most of skipt, because it is told much fuller in CoH. I just used the cry of Beleg about the vengenace of the house of Hador.
NA-SL-02.2: Again Andróg can not be dead at the end of the battle.
NA-EX-42 Okay from here we would start in the next therad normaly, but I think it is better to give the insertion from CoH fully here and discuss also here the further details of Belegs and Andrógs survival.
NA-TI-21b this is slightly changed because we have just told about his search for Túrin's body about the slain.
NA-EX-42.1 I found this the best opportunity to give the information about Andróg survival. The question why then Beleg goes on the serach for Túrin alone I will discuss in the next part of our Narn editing were I found a nice way to address it inside the text without editorial text.

Now I have posted the most tangeld part, in which CoH brought about the greatest amount of changes. All I did is of course open for discussion, so please feel free to disagree with me.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 09-24-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote