View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 10:08 AM   #9
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I think your choice of song for Maeglin is fitting, if you view him as a tragic antihero - which I know you do. Maeglin/Meleth is an interesting concept; with her as Idril's friend, I can see her having a lot of run-ins with Maeglin over the years as she tried to fend him away from the princess. It wouldn't be too hard for her to fall for Tall, Dark, And Angsty over here... which of course makes his fate all the more tragic, because to steal Earendil he would presumably have had to spurn Meleth. A sort of Smeagol-esque 'final chance to take a better path' scenario.

Eriol's poem... well, I love the idea of him baffling the Elves by literally translating his weird Saxon slang - 'life for some of them sucked!' "Sucked upon what, my friend?" I'm... not clear why he's enumerated five of Feanor's sons plus their distant cousin, except for Urwen Likes Maeglin. And, er... is this a drinking song?

Seriously, this is a drinking song, isn't it? More specifically, this is a drinking song written with the express intent of antagonising House Feanor. You've got 'Caranthir loves mortals', 'Maedhros is a wuss about his hand', 'Celegorm pulls girls' hair', 'the only interesting thing Curufin did was die', and 'the one who ran away was the only one with any sense' - plus 'and this evil dude must have been one of you too, because he was evil, and that's your Thing'.

hS

I meant the 'life for some of them sucked' line to mean 'they had a horrible life'.

And he was one of them. He is a Noldo in exile, and a descendant of the house of Finwe.

But honestly, I do like them. Specifically, I like Maedhros, Maglor and Lomion.

As for why, well, the title is not 'Tragedy of Feanorians', it's 'Ode to Unlucky Noldor'. Hence, Lomion.

And yeah, a certain fanfic made me into Maeglin/Meleth shipper.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.

Last edited by Urwen; 04-24-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote