View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 02:14 AM   #3
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Silmaril

ok, it's really late(almost 2 in the morning... I was up watching TTT), so I'm only going to put up a short post, and continue the rest tomorrow. I think there is depth to a lot of different characters. Or at least, there can be, depending on the reader and how he/she percieves it. To the reader who just quickly reads over it, not putting a lot of thought or effort into it, doesn't typically read much, or isn't old enough to understand fully, there may not seem to be much depth to the characters. But those of us who are older, or read a lot more, so can have a better grasp of it, I think there is great amount of depth to some characters. Not all of them are as developed as others, but that's the case in all books. Saucepan, I think all the depth you mentioned in the latter part of your descriptions is there, just some readers may not pick up on it. For instance, Pippin is a young, curious hobbit who hasn't yet come of age. He is innocent and naive, and grows up a great deal through the books. I don't think he's foolish at first, as some people have stated before, but he is young, and has a lot to learn. And he certainly learns a great deal throughout his journey. By the time of the Scouring of the Shire, he has grown up quite a bit, and not just in height. He's wiser, and has been through many things. I think there's quite a bit to his character. I'll try to post more of what I think of the different characters tomorrow. My poor, tired brain can't handle any more right now.
Arwen