View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 06:28 AM   #183
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Twylight

Twylight could still feel the man's gaze burning at her back now and again, like the sun racing in and out of the clouds in the outside world. She was beginning to regret turning away so hastily. He hadn't meant her any harm, as far as she knew of anyways. What if he had also noticed her shudder? Her fearful glance? But her secret...that was too dangerous. If the news of her secret spread, she could fall into the wrong hands and she could do nothing about it.

She sighed, summoned up all of her courage, preparing herself to turn around and meet the man's eyes. Just as she was about to turn around, a cheerful female voice spoke out beside her. It was a hobbit lady, one of the serving maids.

"Is there anything I can get you m'am?"

Twylight stared blankly. Finally, as the maid was beginning to look a little nervous, she held up a slender finger, motioning for the hobbit to wait one moment. Rummaging in a little bundle at her side, Twylight came out with a scrap of parchment and an odd rock that had not before been seen in the Shire. Putting rock to paper, she wrote:

My name is Tw- she paused, and abruptly crossed it out. She tried again:

I would like to arrange a room here at the Green Dragon. Do not worry, I can still hear you. My throat...it hurts. I cannot speak at the moment.

The maid nodded, still looking a little unsure. But all the same, between writing and speaking, they got something worked out and Twylight secured her room. She just hoped that no one else had noticed her odd behavior. With another rubbing of the rock, she finished off the last bit of parchment with this closing:

Thank you very much. I'll motion to you when I am ready to go. Do me a favour, miss, and don't tell anyone about this okay? Thank you.