View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #128
leapofberen
Pile O'Bones

leapofberen has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
How absurd! Imagine if everyone had that kind of laissez faire attitude!

It is absolutely necessary for posters to voice their distaste for a certain topic, or the manner in which a topic is being discussed. Without people wasting immense amounts of time harping on inconsequential points, Internet forums would cease to exist.

And I, for one, will not be held responsible for the destruction of the Internet!

I agree...

Here I will say that while I find Daks posts intriguing and his/her grasp on some different things impressive, it is the long winded and (seemingly, perhaps unintentional) domineering posts that irritated me initially. Which led to my own controversial/ill-toned post that seemed to have an even greater effect on the thread...

(For which I apologize, realize that generalizing was a mistake when it only the tone/direction of a few posts that instigated my irritation. I have only seen many intelligent and passionate fans who post here, all of whom have my respect. Including Dak...)

Which Dak, I think I agree with some previous posts, what you were writing about is a topic worthy of a whole new thread, which I would love to see discussed some more. I find your concepts of history and pre-history fascinating and found the initial direction of what you were saying intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post

I often have to laugh at the animosity of some Tolkien fans to "academic" discussion. Tolkien was himself an academic and his professional work represents a wide range of styles, from the very dry tomes of academe to the more passionate voice of the "essai." But the very foundation of his art is his love of language, of philology, and his keen interest in, as the academic Shippey has it, the "asterisk" poem/word/source, which haunts our interest and whets our curiosity to uncover more. This was, indeed, the very nature of Tolkien's own passion and it is the rare fan who doesn't share this.
Tut tut, tum tum. A forced laugh indeed. Nonetheless, I agree, the art is caught up in the academic foundation of Tolkien's passion for language and philology. The haunting, it seems to me, is the realism that we can feel yet still tends to stay just beyond our grasp leaving us wanting more...to reference an earlier post, who doesn't wish Tolkien would have left us more?

Yes, I love the academia as long as it continues to lead me further into the expression of the "art." Or, as I would put it, the reason why we do what we do, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald_of_Mandos View Post
Well, I've been looking them over; we San Serriffeans tend to feel superficial details gets in the way of appreciation at the deeper, intuitive level, so I just don't feel the need to waste my time reading each and every post.

Talking of my culture, I wonder what people like N----n (as I'll call her to avoid conflict) would think of the dramas performed in our famous Festival of the Well-Made Play, the true meaning of which nobody in the audience comprehends? No doubt she would wish to subject them to some kind of icy academic analysis!

Not that I'm trying to pick a fight with anyone here. Just saying what I feel!

I've never seen those associated with Mandos inject such humor into a...serious situation...I laughed, and I applaud you.
leapofberen is offline   Reply With Quote