View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 03:49 PM   #51
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Oops, cross-posting with Sharon again.

Sharon, you've hit on one of my favorite concepts of "goal in life"-- fulfilling, aka not missing out on, one's design and destiny. How disappointing to get to the end of one's life and find that, instead of being designed to be (for instance) a mediocre software engineer, I was supposed to be (for instance) a good musician. I'd rather find what I was designed to do and be, and let that mature, rather than fighting the current of my own spirit all the way.

I do think Frodo was designed to be a mystic and Sam was designed to be a family man. I also think Aragorn was designed to be a king.

Regarding eucatastrophy-- are these connected at all? We've been discussing Sam's star over the Ephel Duath; how would that fit into his destiny of being a family man? Or does it only fit into the quest, and not his life afterwards?

I'm more and more fascinated by those moments when Tolkien tears a gap in the fabric of "what we see today" and shows us "what really is" or "What will be." Sam sees Frodo shining; Aragorn revealed in his kingliness to a hobbit (was it Pippin, I forget?); Gandalf revealed to Bilbo in Bag End. What do these glimpses tell us?

And I also just love the moments when Sam surprises Frodo... Maril, thanks for bringing that up a long time ago, I think in a post about men-servants, you mentioned that & it's fascinated me ever since.

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]