View Single Post
Old 02-27-2007, 10:20 AM   #670
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Leaf For those who feel harmed

I was afraid someone would say something like that. However, this is the situation I have been in since I made the decision not to mark mhagain's post as answered.
Why I did this (and I hope you catch it from my constant rumbling about posting reasons from then on) is that I was not sure whether mhagain is sure about what he is saying. It seemed just like a blind shot from him, as he said: 'There are parts of the riddle that I can't totally fit to them, however (specifically "you'll beat me" and "your friend is now lost"), but each one we rule out is one less to have to guess.' It seemed to me more likely at that time that mhagain is actually helping the "collective effort of solving" and not really guessing.
My biggest mistake, for which I apologize, was possibly that I didn't say just "yes mhagain, you are correct, now just post the correct explanation". Instead, I chose not to say in the post after that he is right nor wrong, but wanted from that point the explanations along with the answer. From when I made that decision, it went bad, because everyone started thinking about something else. However, I couldn't see your thoughts, so I didn't know if someone is not on right track. When TM returned to the Paths of the Dead pattern, I supposed he's on track and will try the Enchanted River next. And since Thenamir guessed the Ring even though it was already posted before, I tried to use it and told you that if he checked, he would see that I explicitely have said it is not right. I was hinting by it that there is one answer which does not have explicite "no" to it.

Finally, I know it was silly, I knew it turned wrong, but it was too late to suddenly interrupt riddling saying for example "Ok, the current Gil-Galad's guess is wrong, but in fact mhagain was right about a week ago, so he wins." I apologize again to those who would feel offended and I promise you if there'll ever be next time, I'd try to avoid these things. Well, at least for all my riddles for all the times: Post only one answer at a time, since posting two means you don't know, and I still stick with the thought that my riddles are quite transparent when you happen to know the correct answer (i.e. if you know the correct answer, you couln't be unsure of it).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote