View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
LotR1-FotR-Seq11

Who would not, finding way, break loose from hell,… boldly venture to whatever place Farthest from pain? – Milton

The Nine Walkers approach the Mines of Moria. There's that bridge-looking thing in the background that serves some purpose - bridge? Aqueduct? I'm not sure. Gandalf pulls Frodo aside, feigning the need for help, and has a private chat with him. Gandalf first asks Frodo of his shoulder, and I wonder if this is to remind us of his ordeal on Weathertop. Then he's asked of the Ring.

Gandalf then tells Frodo that the Ring's power is growing, and so we can assume that Gandalf, too, senses something. Frodo's told that he's now an "evil magnet," and so will attract all malevolence, both great and small, from without and within the Fellowship, and so should take care.

When Gandalf says, "and from within" some human walks by. Wonder who that could have been? Frodo is told to trust himself, and this may be a signal from Gandalf that soon he will not be part of the Fellowship. This is followed by more dialogue straight from the books, and it's great to hear. And just whom hasn't Gandalf been tested against? And is there some greater power of good that can be of some assistance?

Gimli gasps and exclaims that they have found the walls of Moria. And there's the Path of Moria. And the coffee shop of Moria...

With the mood music pumping up, I was expecting to see something, well, a little more amazing. But that's me.

Now, it's nice to hear Gimli explain dwarven architecture and building codes, but why does he tap the wall? Surely he's just taking some pleasure in the sound of the stone and not tapping for some indication of the Door. I mean, hey, this is the Hollin Gate in Eregion, and there was bound to be some map that showed this in Imladris.

Legolas snips at dwarven doors while Gimli just grumbles and bites his tongue. Nice way to show the sundering of these two races.

Frodo again puts his foot in it and steps in the Pond of Moria. He is taken aback by his foot wetting and either didn't like the temperature or just got some foreboding of evil. If he did, it's a wonder that Legolas' spider sense didn't tingle.

And now we're at the Gate. Pretty famous scene, as I think that it made more than a few book covers. Gandalf examines the doorway, and either calls on starlight/moonlight to appear or is just very lucky. Anyway, the outline of the door appears.

We now await the ever-wise Gandalf, former walker through the Gap of Rohan, to open the door with the magic word. "Abracadabra!"

Merry and Pippin nod in agreement as Gandalf starts shouting out some words. If you needed an indication that something was going to go sour, then look for these two to be on board. Now, surely Gandalf fails and needs to find the right word, and some of the Fellowship may start to doubt their erring leader (or is that Frodo?), but to have Gandalf manhandling the doors?

Pip, as expected, interjects and is scolded by Gandalf. Loved that!

While Gandalf reads the phone book to the Door, the others prepare for the journey in the dark. We get to see Bill the pony, and Sam's compassion for this beast of burden. Aragorn reassures Sam that Bill will be okay. Note that PJ and the ilk wanted to kill Bill via the Watcher, but thought the better of it - thankfully. Merry and Pippin toss rocks into the pool until their foolishness is cut short by Aragorn. With Fellowship members like these...

And I just love when Gandalf throws his staff to the ground and sits, discouraged that he'd made no progress. Now, I'm okay with this presentation of the nonperfect wizard.

Frodo, our leader or at least the one with "the luck," steps up and solves the riddle. PJ states that he wanted Frodo to do this instead of Merry to keep Frodo in the story. I'm okay with that change.

The friendly doors open while behind the onlookers the pool begins experiencing indigestion. They enter the mine as Gandalf lights the way using his staff add-on rock of light attachment. Nice that his magic was underdone, so to speak. Gimli, satisfied with expounding on dwarven entranceways, begins rattling on about the spread at the Buffet of Moria. Like if the place were open there'd be a door warder or something. Or at least someone collecting tolls for tours.

Hey, what's that's crunching sound? What could be crackling under foot? Boromir clues us that this is no mine but a mausoleum. They make ready to fight, luckily enough as we soon shall see, but no orcs are coming at this time. Boromir again states that they should try the Gap of Rohan.

Suddenly Frodo goes floorward and is dragged to the pool. Sam's quick intervention beats off the tentacle. Or not. Whiny Frodo now goes skyward. Sure, if I were hanging by my leg over a dirty pool of water (assuming that this isn't Fear Factor and money isn't involved), and some creature head is going to eat me, I would whine too. But it just adds to the perceived weakness of the Frodo movie character that I just didn't get from the books. It might be me, or others also see Frodo so weakened and unheroic.

Aragorn and Boromir start chopping the tentacles like so much bamboo, and Frodo drops into Aragorn's arms like a new babe. Legolas begins to show the marks-elf-ship for which he will become famous and one-dimensional. Gandalf seizes the moment and bamboozles them into the mines before anything thinks otherwise. Out of the frying pan into the mines...

Darkness!

Gandalf again brings forth light, and it is interesting that this time that he taps his staff on the floor twice. Some secret signal, or tolling his and another maia's doom? And to further lighten everyone's spirits, like a draught of anti-miruvor, Gandalf states that there is more than orcs that go bump in the dark.

I just love when Gandalf says that he hopes that their journey goes unnoticed. Wasn't that right from the book? We then see the expanse of the mines, and see that not only is Moria the Khazad-dûm, city of dwarves, but also a real mithril mine. We learn the price of Frodo's mithril coat.

Now, the stair scene is interesting. Why build a stair with a parallel ceiling? It is just an odd looking place to me. Gandalf reaches the three passages, and says one of my favorite lines, "I have no memory of this place." I just love to come into work every Monday morning and, mimicking Gandalf as best I can, say the same thing. Never get tired of it, though surely my coworkers do. Gandalf sits alone and ponders the path while the hobbits quip and quibble about the wizard.

Frodo notices that they are being pursued. And we learn that it's Gollum, that he escaped or was sent from Mordor, and that the Ring attracts him. We learn of the difference between Sméagol and Bilbo, where one started his stewardship of the ring with pity. Gandalf again quotes Tolkien regarding dealing out death and life, and it's all good stuff. And though I love the lines, I assume that this sentiment doesn't apply to orcs, whose carcasses you should pile up by the thousands.

We get more words right from the pages of FotR. Gollum has a bit to play, but to what end? Then Frodo asks, "why me?" I just love this part, and though not shooting/car chase-crash exciting, it's really profound and an enjoyable moment in an otherwise action flick. Think that this moment was captured in poster form, and was pushed after the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States. People had the same questions as did Frodo, and that made this moment all the more poignant.

How many times have you asked yourself, "why me, why now? Let this cup pass from me..."

Gandalf answers Frodo and us.

DEAL!

The fact that Frodo was 'meant' to bear the Ring doesn't encourage me. Is everything predetermined? Is this a reply? He still has to play out the game, even if he were meant to fall down in the snow.

Gandalf, having cleared his mind, and possibly his nostrils, sniffs out the right path. I like when Gandalf is portrayed as this wise and gentle leader, and think that PJ gets this part of the character just so right.

Next it's on to the Chamber of Mazarbul. Note that the music here is just excellent. Gandalf shows off the immense columns of the large room. Why dwarves build such large rooms is beyond me, as many of their enemies such as Dragons and other such dwarf banes would be a bit hampered by ceilings of 2 meters or so.

Sam's exclamation, though a quote from the book, is just so misplaced here. Wow! Big stone pillars. I'd prefer that the comment be used when Gandalf really shows some of his real powers, but...oh well.

Gimli runs off at the sight of a tomb, and is saddened by what he reads there. Watch and you'll see a neat ability of dwarves, which is to be able to move back and forth on their knees. At one moment, Gimli's head is a foot or two away from Balin's tomb, the next; he's close enough to bop his metal helm against it. Odd tricksy folk, these dwarves.

Gandalf begins to read the account, somewhat abridged, of Balin's kin. Drums, drums in the deep. Pip sets up to do what he does best. Though I watched this scene a 1000 times via the trailer, I still just love it.

Anyway, Pip just can't help himself and makes a racket. Suddenly something's awakened. Why we see parts of Moria from which it would take much time to travel, I don't know, but the suspense truly gets thick. Thanks Pip.

And now for the fun...let the games begin! PJ does these next few moments well.

Boromir checks the passage and is almost shot. It's comical in a well-done sort of way when he explains that a cave troll has come. Too funny. The door is barred, yet the attackers are breaking through. Arrows fly into the openings, yet the orcs are still coming. The hobbits suddenly are really afraid, and me for them too. This is serious business, and just what will happen? Frodo looks the most panicked.

At least String glows appropriately but as the FotR movie budget was tight, there was only enough for one blue-glowing sword.

What the hay is Gimli doing? I'm no expert on dwarven customs, but standing on a tomb? Besides the possible desecration issues, doesn't it set him over his attackers to the point where he may be disadvantaged? What was the thinking here? Was it to get the smaller Gimli up into the shot so that we could see him when he delivers his battle dialogue?

I would have had him say, "Come get some!" as a nod to game-playing fans.

Did you see Boromir twirl his sword in anticipation or anxiousness? It's little things like that that make the movie more real. Can't remember the exact wording, but the attack was fierce but the defense was hot. You see the words here. PJ did well.

After the initial melee the wizard and hobbits enter the fray. Aragorn, like his wraith kin, takes a head. Just what is it with Númenóreans? Enter the troll. Sam almost gets smashed, but luckily he runs under the clumsy troll. Boromir and Aragorn keep Sam from being squashed, yet pay for their assistance. Boromir gathers his wits too slowly and is almost killed, but Aragorn saves him too. That nod is a bit too much for the scene, as we have to assume that no one is swinging anything at Aragorn's head while he gets his chit for the help. Nice throw, just like when he threw the torch at Weathertop.

Gimli gets to dance with the troll, and so we get a little humor as the troll helps Gimli's body count. We see that not only can Legolas fight with a knife, but also he can shoot two arrows at once. And he looks great doing it too. The chain swung by the troll helps the CG Legolas shoot it in the head. Sam finds a new use for his sausage pan, and this is okay, as I don't expect this farm boy to become a warrior all in one day. Frodo plays some hide-and-seek with the troll - that's what happens when you're an evil magnet - then he is caught and dragged. But what's this? Frodo, calling to Aragorn as expected, actually attacks the troll with his sword! Truly unbelievable. And to continue the disbelief, he goes to save Aragorn. I'm starting to like this Frodo.

Too late. He's skewered like a wild boar and will surely die.

I'll just have to send flowers .

CG Merry and Pippin start to dance on the troll's head, and that's a bit odd and a little icky. Everyone, after a short pause, turns the hacking up a level, and the orcs are chopped up decisively while Frodo lays face down. Such a tragic end to such a spirited young fellow...

Now this next bit goes on too long. The hacking at the troll, now alone, is disturbing, and when Legolas finally delivers the death blow, the moan is just saddening. My children feel bad for the troll by this time, and I always say that he's just tired and so is sleeping. Sorry about those arrows in the mouth, big guy.

At least Pippin gets tossed on the floor.

But what's this? Frodo lives! He's alive, and it's all due to body armor of the mithril type.

Before we have too much time to reflect on mithril gifts, it's now a race to the Bridge. Orcs appear like roaches (intentional) and even clamor from the ceiling - hey, if bugs can do it, so can PJ's Morian orcs. I accept the difference in interpretation and understand poetic license, but I still don’t like it. Why not have them fly, like monkeys? perhaps?

The troop is surrounded, and here's where I'd like to see some magic from Gandalf that would put words in Sam's mouth, but it's not to be. Gimli grunts, and this is meant to be funny as the orcs, after a pause, begin to retreat. It's ill-timed in that Gimli's exclamation doesn't cause the retreat, and so obviously - not even for a minute did I think that it was the dwarf - something else has the orcs running scared.

Gandalf feels it before anyone, even the elf, sees the new danger. Oi! Oi! A balrog, a balrog of Morgoth is come! Now this foe beyond all of the Fellowship (save one, I believe) begins its pursuit. To drive the intruders from Moria? Or to capture the Ring for Saruman…or that other fingerless dude? Or to take the Ring for its own? We’ll never know.

By the way, just how does Gandalf know about such things? I take that Gandalf’s squinched face means that the balrog is present more than just physically.

Anyway, they make for the Bridge. Boromir almost falls off the landing, and luckily Legolas is there to catch him. Orlando said something about hurting himself the many times that he pulled Sean back, but in all it looked like they were having fun. Aragorn and Gandalf scuff it up a bit, and I’m not sure why. Does Aragorn think that a well-placed snowball will kill the balrog? No clue here.

So we get the Stairs of Moria. PJ goes on and on about how someone developed a few lines of text into an entire Indiana Jones-like movie. Just great. A balrog in pursuit just ain’t enough to keep an audience interested these days.

Oi! Oi! Steps, Steps of Morgoth are here!

The CG characters proceed carefully yet hastily down the stairs, and find a gap which they must jump. Now, this isn’t even enough tension, and so a barrage of CG arrows starts. The elf princeling shows his accuracy, and pegging the orc between the eyes made my sister laugh/cheer. Did you ever notice in many movies the ‘bad guys’ can shoot millions of projectiles without effect whereas the good guys are not only one shot-one kill lethal, but can overcome a 10-fold and greater overwhelming enemy force?

Boromir jumps with Merry and Pippin, and that leaves Gimli, Aragorn, Sam and Frodo behind. Aragorn throws Sam across, then we get to hear one of the first of many dwarf jokes. Gimli’s beard saves him from the abyss. Aragorn and Frodo scramble backwards as the gap widens. What to do, what to do?

Luckily, evil does good that it does not intend, and though the two cannot retrace their steps, they can rock the stairs pillar just enough to catch up with the rest of the Fellowship. I’m not going to say one word about the physics of such a heroic move.

I thought that the whole stairs scene unnecessary.

And so it’s on to the bridge with the balrog in pursuit. Wait, weren’t we just there a minute ago? The creature leaps from the flames while Gandalf watches. The FotR makes it to the Bridge – at least their CG doubles do – and so are they safe? Not a chance.

Was Gandalf’s plan all along to stop the balrog cold as he does at the bridge, or if the fire demon weren’t so close, run out of Moria and hope that the balrog would be content with that. Remember discussing this on another thread.

And now for my favorite book scene. Gandalf turns and denies the balrog the bridge. Do not corner this wizard, this conjurer of cheap tricks.

Were those wings I saw?

Anyway, just like in the books, the balrog reignites and prepares for battle. Note that in the book, the balrog is said to be “man-high,” but I’m okay with the increase in stature as that’s the way it’s always been depicted. I just love the exact quote by Gandalf, and that he turns the balrog’s sword stroke with subtlety-shown magic. Was that a shield of light, or just the way the light from his staff beamed?

The other members of the Fellowship look on, not knowing how to help.

The balrog makes to cross, and starts flailing its whip. Then my favorite line, “You shall not pass!” is exclaimed by Ian McKellen, and he does it so well, especially if you consider that at the time he was speaking to a tennis ball on a stick. He drives his staff into the bridge, yet nothing happens either to the staff or the bridge. The balrog snorts his disdain.

He takes another step and off he goes as the bridge breaks beneath him. Just perfectly done. No big magic spells, or focus on the same, just a wizard and now a cracked bridge.

Well done, PJ.

Well, that’s the end of that. Or not. Gandalf turns to go and is snagged by the balrog’s whip. Don’t think that the balrog or the whip hung on, but the fact that Gandalf is drained (and also may have some other idea in mind) makes him fall, cling to the bridge for a moment, then let go. Ian said that some edge had to be produced on the bridge (not seen in the overview shot) as to him it would be silly to hang onto nothing. I think that he could have clung to the edge that he did, then this piece too could fall, taking him with it.

Anyway, as the remainder of the Fellowship scrambles to aid Gandalf, he to goes over into the abyss. Everyone is shocked, yet realizes that it’s time to leave. The orcs show up with their arrows, and you can just hear the balrog saying, “Hey guys, a little late, huh? Could have used the help about five minutes ago.” Finally the Fellowship fools fly and leave the black pit, minus one.

The sad music adds to the feelings here. I too was sad, as is the Fellowship.

But before I go there, I just want to note that I was expecting a little more for the main door of Moria, where Azog and his ilk once roamed. How about some form of road or something?

Anyway, each member of the Fellowship deals with the loss of Gandalf in his own way, whether tears or complete disbelief. The actors commented that Orlando’s look of confusion was just great, as here was an elf contemplating death, and at first blush this makes sense, but then not. I would say that as Legolas knew who Gandalf was, to him the loss of a maia might be inconceivable. Sam is shaken, and Sean Astin’s acting was great. Boromir holds back Gimli, who, like Aragorn before him, was going to go back to do what exactly?

Finally Pip feels responsible for his stupidity, and Merry comforts him. Aragorn’s like “I’m the go-to guy now,” and starts ordering everyone around. Boromir, to me, is much more sympathetic here. Aragorn can be full of compassion when Sam parts with Bill, but when they all part with Gandalf, well, it’s get moving time! And just how do those orcs get out of Moria now that the bridge is down?

Elijah Wood as Frodo is also sad over the loss of Gandalf, though if his facial expression is to convey more, it escapes me.

We next see the Eight (One less!) walking past what I believe to be the Kheled-zâram, and Aragorn is way out in front now. Is this the first time he’s taken the lead?

And where are these fools flying? Will Lothlorien offer any solace? That’s for next week.

Last edited by alatar; 01-06-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: A silly spellchecker and sleepless proofreader do not a good post make.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote