Thread: Sarumans Orcs
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 05:01 PM   #19
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmm different types of Orcs

snaga: Slaves, bog standard orcs/goblins. They did the scurrying and made up the bulk of the army, but didn't do anything special

uruks: I actually think an Uruk is merely a large Orc, not particuly an Uruk-hai. An Urukhai is always an Uruk, but an Uruk does not have to be an Urukhai (this is just an idea it could be wrong).

Uruk Hai: high orcs, big fighting orcs. They are smarter than orcs, stronger and more skilled. I would assume that they are also less loyal, due to a few facts:
1) The orcs of Cirith Ungol think that S+F could be rough Uruk Hai
2) Saruman's Uruk Hai seem loyal because he offers them man-flesh (I wonder if man flesh is nicer than, say, cowflesh?)

You also have Half Orcs: These are Orcs that have been crosses with the Dunlendings (sp) to give an army that has the strength of the orcs but the stamina and resistance to sunlight men have.

Does all of that look ok?

Question: Does JRRT actually ever say Goblin Men? That seems to be a Filmification somewhat.