View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #277
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Aethelward!
Great start, Gwath! As Gwath intuited (or perhaps deduced), these three are Eorlings and ought to have Eorling names.

I've finally had a chance to read some recent posts, such as yours, Groin. I see that you have taken it upon yourself to give one of the guards a name, which is appropriate. "Lithor". Seems like a reasonable name to me. Shall we make it two guards that we need names for, and accept "Lithor"? Groin, what do you think? Otherwise, we could add it to the list. I'll do that for now until we decide.

1. Ęthelward
2. Lithor

One other thing, Groin, the White Mountains are 50 miles away from Scarburg. It would take more than a day to get there, and then the hunt could begin, and then more than a day to get back. I think you don't want that. The hunting is pretty much going to have to happen on the open plains within perhaps ten miles (or twenty?) from Scarburg, where presumably some sort of herd animal, deer-like, or whatnot, could be found roaming. The Scar of rocky hills runs westward from the River Entwash for perhaps thirty miles, and Scarburg is about 20 miles west of the Entwash. South of the Scar there are inhabited lands for farming; north of the Scar has not been determined, but it could very well be empty except for game.

Incidentally, it was a nice stroke to have Balvir name Matrim as his Lieutenant, a word which is of French derivation. As Eorlings are based on Anglo-Saxon, the Gondorians are based on French or Roman, so that works quite well, and you could have Erbrand notice the foreign word too, as another indication of their "Gondorian-ness".

One last thing: Gwath, is Crabannan familiar with Gondorian? "Recompense" is a Latinate word and not something the boys would even recognize, being boys as well as Eorling.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 05-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.