View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arathorn
Well calm down Galin, I was just saying that there is another interpretation using other quote that make everything ok. I only said this because you didn't pointed out that there was another possibility and in my previous post I even said that there is more than one interpretation.
Who is not calm? I began with LOL and was only having a bit of fun when running through the factors that we have already been over elsewhere, despite that you 'even said' there is more than one interpretation.

But you also asked why should 'we' care and so I responded to that too.

Quote:
Now expecting you've calmed down I would like to ask why didn't Christopher ever mentioned that last quote?
You'll have to ask Christopher Tolkien. Do you think there is some meaning in his not publishing it in Unfinished Tales, for example?

Quote:
And you should realize that the last quote kind of change years of believing about the similarities being given about Numenoreans and Noldor especially about their height (1951-68 or later) and you don't seem to care about that!!
I'm not sure what the point of this statement is.

Quote:
... and like a Tolkien fan I think it's fine that you point out that there is others interpretations but the first thing you should do is to say the one that fits not the one that doesn't (in your posts you always treats both like contradiction and so I feel in the duty to point that that's not true).
I'm free to post as I like and I happen to think your interpretation is a bit strained (if possible). And I'm not sure I always treat these as contradictions since, IIRC, in some of my posts I use, with purpose, the word necessarily. But anyway in this thread (before you revived it) I basically added the new citations, and noted the ambiguity of dating here -- and only added, by comparison, that the Eldar seem generally taller in Of Dwarves And Men...

… if that brief opinion was too one sided for you or too definitively stated (and I guess it was) -- even though most of the citations concerned are already in the thread for comparison and interpretation -- then do your duty.

Gives me something to post I guess.

Quote:
Finally I would trust Christopher instead of Hammond any time.
Again I'm not sure what this is intended to mean. Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull have merely published certain descriptions or texts that Chistopher Tolkien never published. Carl Hostetter, Verlyn Flieger, and John Rateliff have done the same, for more examples.

Okay... and?

The new descriptions are still Tolkien-written, if not Tolkien-published. Do you think Wayne Hammond altered the original wording here, or something?

Last edited by Galin; 11-09-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote