View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
The white hair is ok, but if Hurin starved for 28 years, even if Morgoth delayed his death, how did he live after Morgoth released him? How can a Man still be so physically strong after almost three decades of no food? (if it's even possible to live 3 decades without food?)
You're assuming, not that Hurin simply *wouldn't* starve (or die from exposure, for that matter), but rather that he *really* would, but the effect would be masked for the duration. I don't think it would have to work that way– that is, like a rubber band that snaps back all the way once released. I mean, there's examples of spells or whatever that do operate like that in various other things, but then– well, it's not like Middle-earth even *has* a formal, codified "magic system". So, who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
The Nazgul are different. They are not flesh-and-bone humans. They are indead (or, rather, unliving). They don't need food. I'm sure Sauron fed them well before their rings did their job. In this case Sauron just leves them hanging between the living and the dead, never changing physically (thus remaining in their best years). With Hurin - he seems to still be alive, still age, but react to starvation as an undead.
I don't think Zil was saying it's exactly the same, but just making the point that the Dark Lords of M-e *are* able to prolong life/withhold death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G55
Edit: To compare Hurin and Maedhros with Gwindor who was Morgoth's slave for a lesser time than Hurin, and yet was aged and broken to the point that even his kin didn't recognise him at first.

Too many questions! :/

Edit2: on the other hand, repeatedly in the legendarium we meet characters that refuse to die from natural deaths because of some fire inside. Could just be a desire to live, or a desire to accomplish something, but it is overpowers death.
That no doubt also plays a part, too– it's probably not just one thing or the other. As for Gwindor– well, he was neither an exceptional individual, nor, as a captive, singled out for any really special treatment by Morgoth– I mean, he was just "Mining Slave #6750". So I don't think his case is all that relevant.