View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #88
Adaneth
Newly Deceased

Adaneth has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Yes, but even if we ignore the copyright issue, I can't see The Children of Hurin being a major studio release, at least not without being more hacked around than Gelmir of Nargothrond. (Sorry.)
I can't see The Children of Hurin (or for that matter, any part of the Silmarillion) as a studio release either, but what I can see it as is a miniseries on a premium cable channel like HBO. (Aforementioned copyright aside). A miniseries on premium cable would eliminate potential problems of a mainstream release. There would be no qualms about the incest, the suicides, the dark mood, and a hero that isn't squeaky-clean. (As a matter of fact, cable seems to actively embrace kind of material.)

That said, there's also the issue of actual adaptation of the material (which will likely include newly-written dialogue) and casting for a movie/miniseries. Done well, it would be be absolutely epic. Done wrong, it would be downright terrible. And the possibility alone of a horrible adaptation makes me kind of not want one at all.

I'm not holding my breath for any adaptations; it's something I'd like to see if it's ever possible, but I'm sure that I could live without it.
Adaneth is offline   Reply With Quote