View Single Post
Old 02-21-2001, 12:19 PM   #33
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
???

Durelen, Mithadan ; what do you say to a new thread to put the
texts in ? Gwaihir thinks it will be of use so, I am fine w/ it.

Gwaihir: Have been reading some of the textual notes of M's ring lately and it becmes ever clearer to me that the annals and the last phase [II] of he Quenta therein represent the last drafts of JRRT of the Silm [in valinor] and that using 77 as base text is def. inferior in terms of using the last version as a foundation for earlier details omitted for a variety of reasons.

re: the use of the occasional word that is not in the texts or a linking phrase or sentence; in the original conception of the project this was not an option we wanted to stick to JRRT's words of one edition or another ,but w/ the express intent of it being entirely his words, the only possible [and yet to be decided] exceptions being the use of 77 ,wherein CRT may have had a hand .This was to forestall any criticism that we were rewriting the Silm. and to let the words be entirely JRRT's - granted this imposes difficulties and may even lead to the exclusion of certain texts - but so be it. That was the original agreement with M/S/and myself we have since added yourself and D and lost S.

I am still in favor of the original plan but perhaps we need a consensus building thread or some such?

Mithadan and Durelen : perhaps one of you would like to tackle the v.small 1st section [ see earlier in the thread for the breakdowns] it is all of a paragraph or 2.

I will be starting great lent this sunday which lasts for seven weeks - I will be totally offline on the weekdays ,but hope to post regularly on the w/ends.

So maybe we can get any reorganizing done oin the next few days.

lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote