View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 11:09 PM   #105
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Feanor,

I don’t' know exactly what you are looking for but I will give you my opinion of Feanor though it is probably fairly well known.

I find him extremely haughty and arrogant. It is rather well known that Feanor was probably the greatest of all elves. Now this to me has always meant that he had great power, knowledge, skill and influence. He has a major underlying character flaw that proves to be his undoing. The greatest problem with Feanor is that due to his stature he brought down many associated with him.

His statement that you initially questioned simply illustrates his extreme self-absorption.

There has been much talk about the kin slaying and I'm not sure I want to reopen that can of worms but I feel that blame belongs to those who initiated it, and in my eyes that is Feanor. How can we blame Manwe for that? He thought he did what would be best for the elves and invited them to live in Valinor. There was no obligation for them to accept and many did not. Therefore they did not hinder their departure but thinking that the departure was in folly they did not aid it.

Now again Feanor had great influence and knowledge, but he was too egotistical to allow that to help other people and to better society. Everything he did was for self-promotion and didn't really care much about anybody else.

I have other things to speak about but I feel that this will spark some conversation in this thread. I do not wish, however, for what I am saying to be viewed as Feanor-bashing but I truly believe him an integral character but reprehensible.