Thread: Orcs mortality
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2002, 05:51 PM   #3
Elfa Arwena

Sting

Hello, I'm new membes of this forum, I am from Spain and my level of english is very low, but I have saw yor questions and I'm very interested about the orcs and it's origins.

Respcting to your question, the answer is very simple: you can read it in Morgoth´s Ring (Orcs):
"They could be slain, and they were subject to disease; but apart from hese ills they died and were not immortal, even according to the manner of the Quendi; indeed they appear to have been by nature short-lived compared with the span of Men of higher race, such as the Edain."

And in the same book and the same chapter, you can read also this:
"But the Orcs were not of this kind. They were certainly dominated by their Master, but his dominion was by fear, and they were aware of this fear and hated him. They were indeed so corrupted that they were pitiless, and there was no cruelty or wickedness that they would not commit; but this was the corruption of independent wills, and they took pleasure in their deeds. They were capable of acting on their own, doing evil deeds unbidden for their own sport; or if Morgoth and his agents were far away, they might neglect his commands. They sometimes fought [> They hated one another and often fought]among themselves, to the detriment of Morgoth's plans."

I hope that with these I'll could help you in something.

Greetings from Spain for all of you!

Elfa Arwena